Keep your eye out for me!

Thumpage44

Keep your eye out for me!

Post by Thumpage44 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 pm

Ive always been a firm believer that people who drive WRX's are tossbags, but i knew that its because of the quality performance of their cars. That left me thinking, a WRX engine in a Lib would be perfect because you get the performance without everyone in traffic thinking your a wanksack and with less attention from the fuzz.

So heres my new girl, She's got the engine and g/box from a 95 WRX, The body of a 90 Lib wagon and the spirit of a rally car. I managed to get her doing 100km/hr in 2nd gear going through a pine plantation up near GlenEagle (early before any dirtbikes got there).

Although she drives well there are few problems which i didn't spot during the test drive, 5th gear doesn't stay in.. i have to keep my hand touching the gearstick or i end up doing 110 in neutral, also the cable going from the intercooler was unpluged, i pluged it back in to find the intercooler warning light is on. :( The mechanics i work with expect ill need to replace the entire g/box if i want 5th gear, have to wait till next payday! Also i planned to cut the front bumper and put a custom intercooler on her, any advice/help on that subject would be great. :)

I must say i did get her relativly cheap and with 6month rego.

Just thought id share it with you, whenever i see a nice looking lib,l series ect i always wave, i expect a wave back dammit! :p

kndkris

Post by kndkris » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Was this the one in the Quokka for a bit? i think they had they wanted to swap for another type of car?

Thumpage44

Post by Thumpage44 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Yes, yes it was.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:42 pm

sure its got a 95 WRX engine? looks like it has had a Series1 GT cut fitted at some stage. Might have had the engine replaced later though

dont chop that bumper up, just paint the thing. Those front bars are too good to chop up. they are hard to get these days
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:50 pm

I may be wrong, but isnt that a RS Legacy engine from Japan (only the Japanese got the silver WAIC)

The plug on the intercooler is for either a level sensor, or a temp sensor.

You probably wont gain much from a front mount intercooler, the WAIC does a pretty good job of cooling the air. Unless you upgrade to a massive turbo and up the boost, but you will want later model heads if you do that anyway
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

subasurf

Post by subasurf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Thumpage44 wrote:Ive always been a firm believer that people who drive WRX's are tossbags
Yet your car has a wanky black bonnet :rolleyes:

:p

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Check the shifter linkages for the 5th gear problem, it might just be loose or have a worn bush.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 am

am i less of a tossbag cos i drive a l-series with the same motor?

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 am

nice lift kit ;)
dont know about that black bonnet either. looks like a tossbag/wank sack thing to do.

subasurf

Post by subasurf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 am

Fatz wrote:nice lift kit ;)
dont know about that black bonnet either. looks like a tossbag/wank sack thing to do.
Sure does ;)

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:16 am

im one happy tossbag ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:42 am

Thumpage44;That left me thinking, a WRX engine in a Lib would be perfect because you get the performance without everyone in traffic thinking your a wanksack and with less attention from the fuzz.
I fail to see how you can think this when you are getting around in a G1S1 legacy convert with a black legacy bonnet silver grill and a black bumper.
If not more, its just as likely to get the same amount of unwanted attention from the hot fuzz.
Pop the bonnet and you see a dirty pod and a dodgy fix for a broken/unused AC ;)

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 am

Looks more likely that the bonnet was swapped from the donor frontcut so that it keeps the factory RS scoop. Perhaps whoever did the conversion never got round to spraying it to match the car.
You may get less attention than a WRX owner if you spray everything to make the car look more normal/stock and fit a nice quiet factory RS rear muffler. But yeh, at the moment that car is definitely cop bait.

Thumpage44

Post by Thumpage44 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Haha, i must be turning into a wanksack because i love the black bonnet!

I have a receipt for a 95wrx engine/gbox so i was lead to believe thats what it was. Hmm.

I have mounted to pod properly now so it shouldn't draw attention, i hope :P

subasurf

Post by subasurf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:15 pm

Does the black bonnet make it go faster?

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 pm

may i ask how much you paid for such a car?

5hp+ for the black bonnet

subasurf

Post by subasurf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Subafury wrote: 5hp+ for the black bonnet
Even if it's not carbon fibre? :p

Thumpage44

Post by Thumpage44 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Subafury wrote:may i ask how much you paid for such a car?

5hp+ for the black bonnet
You may ask... BUT FIRST! I was hoping either yourself or someone with gearbox wisdom could give me instructions on how to check the shifter linkages, i have ramps and a trolley jack so getting under the car is nooo problamo!

The bonnet was forged from the fires of Mt Kashitonia giving the car the spirit of the wolf. Some nights i wake up to the sounds of it howling...:eek:

Stock or new 2.5" exhaust is also on the shopping list.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 pm

I think the original reason some cars have black bonnets comes from rally. Drivers like having a matt black bonnet to prevent the sun reflecting off the bonnet into their eyes while racing. These days it's just wank. Carbon fibre bonnet owners don't paint them just so people know it's carbon fibre, and god knows why people like gloss black painted bonnets on their non-black cars....it just looks like they are fixing up a car and havn't been able to afford to paint it to match yet :P
To check the linkages just wiggle them around where the joints are, see if there is play in them or not.

Thumpage44

Post by Thumpage44 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm

The sun reflecting is a good point, although i think it looks good seeing the front bumper is black aswell. I think its my right to have a bit of a wank on my car, although it does have a BOV aswell which turns it into a full on toss.

I know im going to sound like a complete newbie, but were can i find these linkages and how do i get to them? Thanks...

Return to “Western Australia”