Ej auto box 4wd on demand kits EOI

SuBaRiNo

Ej auto box 4wd on demand kits EOI

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:49 am

I have been getting a few inquiries so I'm considering building a heap of kits and offering installation of some "4wd on demand" set ups to suit the ej series 4eat auto gear boxes. This will allow you to lock the car into a 50/50 split from front and rear instead of relying on the ecu controlling the amount of rear wheel torque. This would greatly assist traction when driving on the soft stuff and limit wheel spin.

It will include the relative wiring to trick the ecu into believing your car has not been tampered with which will avoid getting any transmission error codes.

This will only Sui the EJ 4EAT auto transmissions.

Would anyone else in the Perth area be interested in this?

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:12 pm

If i get a gen2 Auto project car yes:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:27 am

Dave,

I have done a few of these and its a bit of a case of buyer beware.

You can force the MPT clutches to full lock but they can only hang on so hard. Where this works great is on sand. Without the lockup switch the front wheels will spin before the rears come in and you start moving. Where it doesnt work is on the rough stuff with different levels of traction at each wheel. You just end up burning out the clutches as they arent strong enough even at "full lock"

This is my experience behind NA motors. With a turbo motor it is even worse. I once saw a mates EJ20T auto completely smoke the MPT clutches trying to get up a sand dune. the fronts were driving like mad and the rears were going nowhere.

After a few years of offroading my MPT cluthes totally gave up at landcruiser mountain park and i was left with no rear drive at all. I switched to a VTD rear end and havnt looked back. the VTD system is a huge improvement and well worth the effort. You have to do your research though.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Richos

Post by Richos » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm fully aware of the related possible issues however i would only use it on sand to get moving or on muddy/slippery tracks and would definitely be keen for this mod. I save the real 4wding for my zook.
Richo

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Here I was wishing my Forester was an auto as you are able to lock it like a 4WD not AWD..
I'll stick with my manual I think ;)

I have seen it in action in sand though and it does make a huge difference taking off, stops the car bogging down as easily :p

Redroo

Post by Redroo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Was looking at doing this mod in the near future, a kit would bring this nearer.
Put my name on the list.
Mark

Return to “Western Australia”