keen for a wagon

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:22 pm

up Tea Tree Gully way (st agnes)

i see wagons like everyday now....funny that, once youre keen for something, you seen LOTS of em....so much envy :P

benster

Post by benster » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Theres one you might be interested in here. Price is a little high... but its already lifted... think it might have 14's on it too.

This one is better priced but its auto. Has injection and all the mod cons though.

This one is a bit of a drive from you... but has 3 year warranty by a dealer??

Maybe some options there... maybe not... hope there near you... google maps say they are :mrgreen:

$300 finders fee to me if you end up purchasing one of those cars :cool:

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 pm

cheers for all that searching man!...i had already sussed out the Darlington one...it had already clocked over 300,000km...wonder why it wasnt advertised.

and im not that keen for an auto....and i am gonna go suss the hope valley one for $4500...but im thinking, i have to drive 60km's a day (to gawler and back ffrom mine) and in no time ill be up in the high KM's...and it would be hard to sell later.....im keen to suss it out though, as ive never sat in one even....it looked real nice....but im thinking id love to just hold on and try find a lower KM one......how the heck did you get onto your one!?>

cheers Benster

Jason

benster

Post by benster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Canberra is shocking when it comes to selling cars... was for sale for 6 months before I bought it. Seen it advertised for $3000 and haggled a deal.

The guy originally had $4000 on it before I seen it... One thing that I think helped me out was the lifter tick. When I drove it... it never showed signs of it, so I bought it without hearing it. Most people would have looked at it and heard that sound and walked away thinking the worst.

If I had heard it... I would have. Not knowing anything about subies. Now I know it's not all that bad. But sh!t me, it sounds like the engine has washers in the heads and their being smacked around in there.

I have to say.... since diong the timing belt, I haven't heard it since.

Anyway, like I said. Canberra sucks if your trying to sell a car this old but great if you want a cheap ride of this era.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 pm

[quote="but im thinking, i have to drive 60km's a day (to gawler and back ffrom mine) and in no time ill be up in the high KM's...>

[/QUOTE"]

This end of the market naf all in the Kms - we are talking about 20+ year old cars now...not as if you worry about hitting second car landmarks of 50,000 or 100,000kms.

No dif between 300xxx or 350xxx 0r even 410xxx (my first subaru). Just buy a good one to start with - see steve at rusing sun dude!!

sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

benster

Post by benster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:16 pm

acousticjase88 wrote:i am gonna go suss the hope valley one for $4500...but im thinking, i have to drive 60km's a day (to gawler and back ffrom mine) and in no time ill be up in the high KM's...and it would be hard to sell later

cheers Benster

Jason

It's a high price for this model... but if I remember right... it already has a 3" lift and the milage was what? 250,000. I'd offer $3200 and see what happens... if they don't want to sell it anywhere near that that price on the spot, just leave your name and number on a card and wait.

It's a fair price to offer IMO.

Also, check out redbook. I can't remember the exact model of that wagon, but this link is a good indication of price. take it with you and hand them the print out from the website.

If you don't know what redbook is, it lists the currrent market value for cars.
at the moment it says that a 1991 GL L Series suby is worth between $1400 - $3500. Obviously depending on condition.

benster

Post by benster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:18 pm

sven '2' wrote:This end of the market naf all in the Kms - we are talking about 20+ year old cars now...not as if you worry about hitting second car landmarks of 50,000 or 100,000kms.

No dif between 300xxx or 350xxx 0r even 410xxx (my first subaru). Just buy a good one to start with - see steve at rusing sun dude!!

sven
Yeah.. the EA82 is a nice reliable little engine... and so is the rest of the drivetrain. As long as it's been regularly serviced. It shouldn't cause you too many headaches or broken nails :)

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:41 pm

acousticjase88 wrote:but im thinking id love to just hold on and try find a lower KM one......how the heck did you get onto your one!?>
Don't worry about the ks, if the engine keeps going, clock up as many as you can/want, and then throw the engine out n throw in an ej22. Then sell it off :)
You might even want to keep it, with a new engine!

All too easy... (On paper, anyhoo haha)

mattw

Post by mattw » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:34 am

g'day mate, good to see another south aussie show up. the advice above is spot on.
A couple of points to add to the mix.
subies have always been tightly held by their owners, take your time and keep looking, the right one will come up. lift kits, King springs, kyb shocks, 14" white wheels ("sunnies"), roof rack, roo bar etc are great to get in the purchase. If your going to get into the whole Suby thing, you'll save a heap buying one with it already. mind you, that might suggest it has been given a work out already.
look for rust around the front and rear windscreens, mudguards, around the front door jams and underneath. while your there look for signs of beach work and off roading bumps and scratches. better that you put them there than the guy before you.
I've had my L series for over 10 years now, and although she is a bit worse for wear, she keeps rolling on and has very rarely let me down (done 320k so far so who's complaining). Over the years there isn't much I haven't repaired, replaced or upgraded. that's the best way to learn about working on cars. Parts are not that bad. Steve at Rising Sun is a champ, and Subawreck at Parafield are tops too.
I think its fair to say they aren't the most efficient car there is for their era and size but you should see better than 9L/100k. mine's turbo'd and I get 11.3 commuting South road (which isn't that good when you do 500km/week), but she's much better on the open road.
Anyhow, enough waffling.

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am

ttg well you must live just around the corner from me (redwood park). i have noticed in a car yard on north east rd, betwen poole ave and muller rd i think its hampsted gardens? there is a pretty smick looking blue L with sunraisers/bull bar i think the window has a big $3500 on it, but being a car yard you may get them lower;)

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:48 pm

im having a look tonight at the wagon at hope valley, so i'll see what it looks like and how it drives......very keen just to have a drive of one....and also keen to have a look at the one at hampstead gardens!...cheers every one for input!...will let y'all know what the go is haha...

benster

Post by benster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Soooooooo.... how'd it go?

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:14 pm

ummm...i think i flooded his front driveway with my drool...it was SO immac and was really well looked after under the hood...stupid amounts of goodness...keen to have a look during the day and drive it...he doesnt live far so i just popped in tonight briefly.....but

im thinking i might be soft.....and maybe hold off buying one for awhile...i really really need to save a fair bit of money for a trip to Africa, and also need to pay for a new guitar soon.....so thinking wisely...i'll wait and be patient and the right one will come along :) i just want to suss this one and see how they feel. But (unfortunately, what a downer) i am now thinking ahead....buying one would wipe me out financially and then i'll have to pay extra to run it(as im scraping by running a corolla!)...and apprenticeship wages...not amazing....so ill wait a while til i have a Tradesmen income :P...and then i will indeed be able to comfortably get one and run it quite cruisey...

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:14 pm

actually...

hold that thought....i might be biting the bullet and getting it....ARRRGGGHH! a liiiiittle bit indecisive...

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:57 pm

do it! you know you want to;)
i'll take you for a spin in mine, its far from perfect but a whole lot of fun

dylan

Post by dylan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:20 pm

as my bro said while i was looking for my 1st suby last yr. there will always be another one next month..... and there will be. but that said i brought the 1st one i seriously looked at, however it was in very good condition, no rust low kays. 1st timers dream! i havent looked back since. YEW!!!
if its not native its not cool.....

benster

Post by benster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Same... mine was the first subi I looked at... low k's no rust... DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!..

peer pressure :mrgreen:.... be a nike shoe and just do it. :cool:

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:15 pm

uhhhh....pretty sure...i definitely own an L series......YEAH i do.....pic will be up soon of her at play....YYYEEEEEEHAW

Goon

Post by Goon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:55 pm

Congrats mate!

benster

Post by benster » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 am

So wheres the pic??? crash it already and too ashamed of sharing a photo of the damage?? ;)

Return to “South Australia”