Tire sizes

acousticjase88

Tire sizes

Post by acousticjase88 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:19 pm

hey people, im looking at getting some new tires....the size im looking for are size 185/70R14...however ive seen 185/R14's...what is the difference?...what is the 70?....im starting to get to know what the sizes mean..but wasnt sure about that part.....

Jason

daza

Post by daza » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey J,
The 70 is the profile, which is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width.
When it's not stated, like your 185R14 it's normally 80 - 83 depending on the brand.
Have a play with this, it's a tyre size calculator and lets you see the difference between different sizes/profiles.
Daza.
:D

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 pm

It is the profile of the tyre. 70 refers to the % of the width, in this case 185mm.
70% of 185=129.5
So 129.5 x 2 (becauce there are 2 sidewalls) + 14" rim (355.6mm) = 614.6mm

If there is no profile in the size it is accepted as 80 (80%)

Hope that helps.
Settlement Creek Racing

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:21 pm

cheers guys....its funny, as soon as i posted it i saw a diagram on a website of exactly what i wanted to know :P....i get it now...

tells ya what...struggling to find a set of tyres.....i think i have no choice but to go to more of just a road tyre....apparently alot of manufacturers have stopped making the size in a bit of an all rounder....oh wells...i do mainly bitumen driving anyways...still wanted something that could handle a bit of dirt.....

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 am

6-stud and throw some 15" rims on there

ian059

Post by ian059 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:24 pm

If you can get your size in Oz, I recommend these http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-T ... eries.aspx
I've had the 15's on my Fozzie and they are great.

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:37 pm

If you can get your size in Oz, I recommend these http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLigh...vo-Series.aspx
I've had the 15's on my Fozzie and they are great.
hey i did get shown these by a tire business over here...they look sweet!

does it matter if you want 185/70R14, but get 185/R14 instead...? does it matter if they are that much bigger? i have a 2 inch lift kit

daza

Post by daza » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:55 pm

I would recomend 185R14 over 185/75 14 if your lifted.
Fits easy, small enough for a standard motor but a bit more clearance.
Daza.
:D

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:31 pm

couldn't get the Maxxis ones...so i settled for more of a road tyre with wide tread, Yokohama...they look pretty snazy! got 185R14's

on a side note, i just got heavy duty springs in front and shocker blocks put in the back by Subamods.....nothign bad about that :P...looks shmick....as soon as those tyres are on...it will be rad, they are ridiculously bald...

probably gonna hit up Goolwa beach/Murray Mouth for some fishing on the 16th of jan...so let me know if anyone else will be down there!

jsubie

Post by jsubie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:09 pm

acousticjase88 wrote: on a side note, i just got heavy duty springs in front and shocker blocks put in the back by Subamods.....nothign bad about that :P...looks shmick....as soon as those tyres are on...it will be rad, they are ridiculously bald...

probably gonna hit up Goolwa beach/Murray Mouth for some fishing on the 16th of jan...so let me know if anyone else will be down there!
Just out of interest how much did it cost you for the springs and blocks?
and I think Phiz is trying to get a bunch of us up to Loveday that weekend.;)
:):confused::p:mad::confused:;):D:-D:???::p

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:45 pm

oh yeeeah i forgot about loveday....its a bit far for me...i'll hit it up the next cruise...i would have been a burden anyways...i am new to offroading...:|

the springs in front cost $176...blocks in back were $50...and Paul said you can get some that are easy to do and others which are a pain, i think mine was a pain...cos it took a while to do apparently (the blocks that is)...so it was $150 fitting it all...i think he charges $60 an hour..or 65....

'jsubie', i can take photos if ya want....i was going to anyways, when i get the new tyres tuesday.

next thing to do on The Roo is the bull bar....then get the oil pump attended to.. to get rid of the ANNOYING ticking sound...haha...

Heading up to Yalata on Jan 1st til 7th for beach fishing (and boat fishing in the bay's before the nullabor) and every part of me wanted to suby to hit up those sand dunes up there...but alas...it would cost me probably half my holiday pay to get there and back haha....bail on that..i shall be a passenger in another 4x4!

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:46 am

acousticjase88 wrote:oh yeeeah i forgot about loveday....its a bit far for me...i'll hit it up the next cruise...i would have been a burden anyways...i am new to offroading...:|
A lot of the people that came down to Goolwa that time were what I'd call new to offroading. Never a burden, always good to chat to people and exchange ideas and driving tips. Sometimes you learn more for the newbies because they have different ideas then the more experienced.
But yeah, it is a long way, 330km for me. Best offroading you'll find around here though IMO
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

jsubie

Post by jsubie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:25 pm

Well guys I think if you have taken the time and effort to join in then you can't be a burden.
acousticjase88 buddy
yes I would like to see some pic's. How well do you feel the new springs and blocks have improved your car?

Phiz is a trip down to the Sth East "Little Dip" or "Canunda Park" to far because I was hoping to get a couple of you guys to join me.

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:42 pm

cheers Phizinza....keen to hang out with people when another trip is organised after loveday.....every part of me is keen for loveday....it looks absolutely rad....but might just sit this one out..i wanna get to know my car better anways...with long driving etc...so might hit up coorong first....see how she goes with the distance and then 4wding!
How well do you feel the new springs and blocks have improved your car?
its hard to say, cos my wheels are so shockingly out of whack due to the slight lift, and it was already in need of a wheel alignment(whoever put the present tyres on did not align them....grrr)....they are very noticably angled so they are wearing on the outside of the tyre only....so...with that said....tuesday i will have pics up of new tyres done and will inform you of how it all feels....until i get the wheel alignment i cant take it off road abit to see how it goes either.....:P...

oh and just quietly...there was nothing bad about todays weather and being out in a boat...(14 squid and 53cm snook) ahhhh it was a beauty!

keep it cool people

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah, I'd be keen on going down Robe next year. Probably in Feb or March. I'm not rich so have to keep my outings to one ever one or two months.
I have some friends keen on going down Robe again... I would actually love to do the full trip from Robe to beachport. Keep turning back at this soft beach about a third way down.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

jsubie

Post by jsubie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Well I don't think anyone has alot of cash to throw around so I would say we just put ideas forward and see what happens.

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am

front

REar

man i wish my rear springs looked equally smart as the front! haha...hopefully camera phone quality is good enough to get a rough idea of what it looks like! if not let me know jsubie.....

New tyres are Yokohama 185/R14 Light Truck....in latest Bob Jane catalouge for $106...they are so quiet and great control...offroad will be the test!

MErry Christmas people!

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:33 am

hey dfkjhdjk kjhwdhch ljqsiljls ljqsdjqsic
91 Lifted L-Series

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:47 am

i recon i seen ya yesterday on the corner of Fullarton rd and Greenhill RD looked very nice
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

acousticjase88

Post by acousticjase88 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 pm

i recon i seen ya yesterday on the corner of Fullarton rd and Greenhill RD looked very nice
maate wasnt me! i was in gawler til like 6pm...and i rarely am down fullarton way anyways!...dang it :P oh wells...
91 Lifted L-Series

Return to “South Australia”