Camping trip at the end of year

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:09 pm

hey, 30 day beige was the best colour they came in...

not to many 4wd tracks around cradle mt as far as im aware but plenty of walking tracks, which are pretty good. except the new overland track 'surcharge'.

little henty isn't to far out of the way. and there is some nice camping spots near the mouth of the henty, also a track along the rivers edge for a few K's that we found last time.

and tasbrat, now big is your lpg tank, I get around 10- 12/100 on the highway (90 - 100kmh ~ 6in/Hg manifold pressure ) and yes it turns to around to some silly figure off road (boost 'helps' here :twisted: )

what are your movements troy? you are welcome to come along, or show us the ropes around zeehan, if your down that way. I here there is a nice little quarry in the area.

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:22 am

MY_STI wrote:and tasbrat, now big is your lpg tank, I get around 10- 12/100 on the highway (90 - 100kmh ~ 6in/Hg manifold pressure ) and yes it turns to around to some silly figure off road (boost 'helps' here :twisted: )
100 litre usable, 115 or 120 litre total. or 1/3 or a uteload!
Any restrictions on bringing dogs? Groover is my co-pilot, Always!
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

WombatRacing

Post by WombatRacing » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:34 pm

So how did the trip Go?

Sorry I didnt come and meet any of you guys but I had a crap block at work and just wanted to get home. Hope to meet a fe of the North West guys some time soon.

Cheers Wombat.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:07 am

i didnt make it to the trip... ended up going to falls instead coz the monster is still not quite there

had a fonecall fom fatz a couple days into the trip... he got stuck in quicksand and ripped a lift block outta the body, as far as i know they went back up to burnie to get the body welded up and were heading west again, and they are probably still out there

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:23 am

Yeh they all had car trouble

and they left to go back down there on new years eve

and as far as i know they are still there

I couldnt go hard to work and my car needs a rebuild and new gear box
:(

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:23 am

Fatz and the boys have had some dramas, They were home welding by the time I left to meet them.
I diverted to the central highlands and grabbed three rainbow trout with the fly rod instead.

I think they are still there!

I wonder if they left a trail of breadcrumbs?

Fellas.........hello.....

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Fellas.......

HALOOOOO....

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:00 pm

I see you Adam....

Fess up, give us the dirt.

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Yes this was an eventful trip indeed. First day i ripped out my lift kit from the chassis with the help of some quicksand....
My mate with a MY ripped out his D/R selector, so eveytime he wanted to change from 2wd to 4wd, he had to jump under his car and manually do it. Was amusing, though i dont think he saw the funny side of it. This was at Sandy Cape area.(WestCoast). I couldnt 4wd anymore due to obvious reasons, so we headed back to burnie for a quick touch up job before going back again.
New years eve came and we decided that all was ready to go back on to our adventurous trip. (At this stage there where only two cars going, My L series and a MY) We headed down to Henty Dunes(West Coast also), very nice place down there, celebrated New Years on the Dunes, quite an experience.
Next mornin we decided to camp at a different location, so off we headed in search of a new camp site. On the way the MY broke a CV... Obviously we didn't get very far. so we trekked around lookin for a site. We Finally found one. Nice flat spot with dunes right beside us.
We Towed the MY to the new campsite and replaced the CV. We then unpacked and went for a little razz....as you would.
Not to long later, MY breaks a strut top. A while later, we where off again.. i rolled a tyre off the rim, no worries chucked the spare on. Back off agin, found a kick arse Dune jump. MY went flying, Crowd loved it...the radius rod didn't.... Next thing, wheel was sitting against the guard, had to go back to the camp site to get a spare. That took some time to change, had some problems with it. Bout 1hr later, up and running again. I rolled ANOTHER tire of the rim... So i was innoperatble till the next day as it was about 6pm, and quite possibly the most furthurest point away from the camp site. Decided to call it a night...
next morning, nice day went outside to find that MY had also rolled a tyre off the rim. so off we went to get 3 tyres back on and proper. Another day went by with lots of fun and no problems, then we decided to leave the dunes and go to some bush, and kick it there for a few days. On the way out, i rolled another tyre off the rim(this one had no pressure let out of it, and all the rollings where on the same wheel too. So got the hammer out and bashed the crap outta the quarter panel.) Went to a nice discreet place just out of queestown, stayed there for 3 nights. went fishing, no fish caught though. Nearly sank the boat a couple of times, quite scarey. We Then decided to head to Lake Spicer. On the way out of Little Lake, MY blew ignition fuses like nothing else, and the rear tortion bars where excissivly low. So we decided to call it a day and head off home.
Over all the trip was AWESOME. Had heaps of fun, and a great experience. Bit of a bummer that there werent more people and subys.
Got lotsa piccys and footage, i will download em and put em up shortly.
Cheers
Adam

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 pm

"4WD Tracks in Tasmania"
http://www.roving.com.au/
just got it today..nice book :D very detailed track guides, GPS positions too :D
its in a ring bound notebook style, and the pages feel very durable for those trips.....

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:49 am

Yes mate, is a very handy book.
Cheers

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:57 am

yeah its a good book... and im sure tasbrat agrees with you too :wink:

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:47 am

Yep its a beauty, Its in my glovebox Johnnie!

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 am

:D
Fatz wrote:Yes mate, is a very handy book.
Cheers
bluesteel wrote:yeah its a good book... and im sure tasbrat agrees with you too :wink:
tasbrat wrote:Yep its a beauty, Its in my glovebox Johnnie!
now thats got to be the forum equivalent of standing at the bar all nodding in agreement :)

any favorite tracks?
Mt McCall Track is interesting tho arrangements need to be made....
...see where that damd dam was goin to go, many an aussie changed there vote cuz of it :D,

have any of the "hard" tracks been done by subes?

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:50 am

yeah im pretty sure ive done some of the hard ones.... but i cant remember which ones they are now :roll:

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:30 pm

The sandy cape track is rated medium and was fairly easy, we just were not properly prepared (water in dizzys, looms, car etc), and the dunes are rated hard, but we didn't have much of a play there unfortunatly.

The ocean road/hells gates/maquarie harbour is also rated hard, but we have travelled this stock easily, however i have heard nasty stories when the storms are raging.

I have since talked with someone who has done the granville to trial harbour and thinks we couldn't get a subaru from granville to trial harbour (also rated hard), as if that isn't a red flag to a bull.

haven't looked into the McCall track yet, I'll let ya know what the view is like from the top :D

legacytt

Tracks

Post by legacytt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Having riden the Granville-Trial track 3 times in the Wildside MTB race I think it would be fine in a lifted subie, although I have heard that last winter there were a few new car sized washouts appearing. I was down there last week and there was a sign saying the track was closed due to a bridge being out. Either way would be worth an explore, you can always turn round and go back the way you came if there is a bridge missing. Mt Mcall can't be that bad as they take people in there in Troop Carriers to raft the lower section of the Franklin and they are pretty ordinary on anything rough.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

Return to “Tasmania”