Engine is missing at times RX turbo

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
colwyn

Engine is missing at times RX turbo

Post by colwyn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:28 am

I've had a miss for about 3 months now and it seemed to be in one cyclinder as i did the remove disb leads to see which one. However i'm not so sure now.

I have removed the injector and tested it ok with a 9v battery and it works fine and there is plenty of spark.

Its driving me nuts as it comes and goes and i'm still not sure what it could really be.

I was advised that it was likely a injector problem or a manifold leak somewhere but since ive tested the injector and that the problem seems to come and go i'm confused as the injector fires and if their was a leak it should be consistant.

What can i do to check this and/or look at other things!

tex

Post by tex » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 am

If it is a leak in the manifold you can find this out by getting a can of start ya bastard or carby cleaner and spraying around the outside of the manifold (better if the engine is missfiring) and listen to the engine it will either increase or decrease in speed slightly if you spray over the hole! But I take it it happens as your driving along not when you first start up. It could be worth checking the engine fault codes first what year model car is it and what type of engine!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Just because the injector is firing doesnt mean its delivering the same amount of fuel as the other 3

I had troubles for ages and it ended up being the injectors
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

SCOOBIDOO

Weak Valve Spring...

Post by SCOOBIDOO » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 pm

colwyn wrote:I've had a miss for about 3 months now and it seemed to be in one cyclinder as i did the remove disb leads to see which one. However i'm not so sure now.

I have removed the injector and tested it ok with a 9v battery and it works fine and there is plenty of spark.

Its driving me nuts as it comes and goes and i'm still not sure what it could really be.

I was advised that it was likely a injector problem or a manifold leak somewhere but since ive tested the injector and that the problem seems to come and go i'm confused as the injector fires and if their was a leak it should be consistant.

What can i do to check this and/or look at other things!
JONNO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM
ILL USE CAPS LOCK AS NO ONE LISTENS...THIS PROBLEM IS A WEAK VALVE SPRING...

colwyn

Post by colwyn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Would a weak valve spring be caused/agrevated by getting the head gasket done as this problem occured when i got the car back from the shop.

Also whats the cure for it then I shudder having to take it to the mech's again.

Yes schoobi I'm thinking it could be that something else you mentioned as its so intermitent and a valve spring not being just a leak or a misfiring injector seems possible by the way the car drives as its like having the timing wrong or when you get really bad valve noise.

tambox

another option

Post by tambox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:02 pm

I had a similar problem, it was a plug with an itermitant fault, started just after it was serviced and the plugs were replaced.

colwyn

Post by colwyn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am

Bump

Would a weak valve spring be caused/agrevated by getting the head gasket done as this problem occured when i got the car back from the shop??

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 pm

If your leads havent been replaced in a while the long ones break down after a time first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:24 am

I would start checking all the basics... Compression, Fuel and Spark.

I had a problem once on my RX, it run like sh*t and I tried lots of different things. Turned out to be the drivers side timing belt had broken and because the passenger belt drove the dissy I didn't even think about it until I did the compression check??? I felt like a right idiot :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

colwyn

Update

Post by colwyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Bloody thing still causing problems

so intermitate it can litterally miss for 5 sec then go again.

The guy at the shop says i have a intermitate miss in the #1 cylinder, its not the injector and he suspects its a fault with the CPU

Anyone got a 86 cpu i can at least borrow to test the theory out please

Return to “Trouble Shooting”