siezed? Timing belt stripped..

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Smokey

siezed? Timing belt stripped..

Post by Smokey » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:31 pm

Hello all,

Bought the car knowing this was an issue... now time to fix it.

EA82 88 L series wagon. Removed timing covers and found a siezed pully wheel on the drive/timing belt, passenger side. Timing marks on the cam sprockets look the same as in the service manual. I have no idea if there is more damage than that.

Pic of the wheel, showing stripped belt, and mysterious hole in the inner center cover.

I have a new belt and will get the cover and wheel soon. What else should I look out for? I don't know much about engines but am learning eagerly as I encounter problems.

Cheers.

Smokey[/list]

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:48 am

Since you have gone that far I would suggest doing all the rotating bits while you are in there. I think the collection of recommended stuff is something like ; Water pump change , Oil Pump overhaul , Cam seals, crank seal, tensioner bearings.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:05 am

[quote="Pete"]Since you have gone that far I would suggest doing all the rotating bits while you are in there. I think the collection of recommended stuff is something like ]

Yeah I agree, because its a pain in the arse if you had to change the water pump or bearing in next 5000,15,000, 25,000 klms so best to replace them all at once.

On my EJ22, I should have changed the bearings (at that time I didn't know it needed replacing) but someone said that I should replace 3 bearings because they usually last 100,000 kms at least or more!? and 2000kms later since timing belt change, one of the bearings made high pitched squeal and i couldn't start my Liberty at 5am in the morning because it'll wake everyone up in the household, so 5000 kms later it gotten worse and gave up replaced it then It was all good, wished I replaced it at the timing belt change.

Cheers
AP

waggaclint

Post by waggaclint » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:38 pm

if you buy a tiimg belt KIT it will come all the idler pulleys etc and cam and crank seals tensioner etc. When you start it up leave the covers etc off just incase something else is wrong this way you can see everthing.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:38 pm

is that the tensioner pulley, colin?

waterpump/oilpump recently replaced.

or so I was told by my now recently disused mechanic....
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Smokey

cactus drive belt

Post by Smokey » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:49 pm

Thanks guys for the replys & ideas!

Smoov - yes its just an ider pully, not attached to anything. The belts were new and in good nick, untill...

My wife just had my second child thismorning. Named him Jared. So the car is at a standstill for a week or so atleast.

Will source the parts and update u all...

Thanks again.

Smokey

AlpineRaven

Re: cactus drive belt

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:17 pm

Smokey wrote:Thanks guys for the replys & ideas!

Smoov - yes its just an ider pully, not attached to anything. The belts were new and in good nick, untill...

My wife just had my second child thismorning. Named him Jared. So the car is at a standstill for a week or so atleast.

Will source the parts and update u all...

Thanks again.

Smokey
oh wow.. congratulations mate!
Good Luck with everything!
Cheers
AP

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:44 pm

8O
has something seized to have striped the belt? how does that happen........

smoov

Post by smoov » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Congratulations to you Colin and your wife.

I hope your wife and your son are well.

Let us know of the progress with the old soob. I miss her terribly.

cheers

alex
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Smokey

Now it won't start

Post by Smokey » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:09 pm

Hay all,

Got it all back together, crank it over and ..... nothing. It makes starting/cranking noise, exhaust can be heard, fuel is moving in the carbie, spark is there. But no start. It sounds like it wants to go but just can't get there.

Any ideas? Timing marks on the cam sprockets were aligned along woith the flywheel (TDC) for each side. Engine sounds good, no odd noises etc. But it won't kick over either.

So what next....

Smoov - you have PM.

Thanks Guys.

Smokey

waggaclint

Post by waggaclint » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:13 pm

double check your marks if ok check the compression. has the vehicle ever been running since you bought it. maybe the motor might be had it.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:07 pm

If you removed the Dizzy during the repair, check to see if it is not fitted 180 degree's out.

Smokey

Dizzy

Post by Smokey » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:54 am

Pete,

Dizzy was removed by a mate trying to get it to run. How and what do I do to correctly set the dizzy? I'll take a look at my gregories book.

Smokey

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:14 pm

thats were you went wrong, when you time the belts you need to use the 3 little lines on the fly wheel, use the middle one, line the marks up and it should go, t should tell you that in the book

bryan

Gremlins

Post by Gremlins » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:28 am

See what 85rxturbo says above, do not line up with TDC markings, there are another 3 lines on the flywheel for cam timing. Also, note that the timing marks (holes) on the cam sprocket should be 180 degrees appart. ie. When one timing mark is at the top, the other side should be at the bottom. (Hope that makes sense) I

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Got it going fairly well, seems to be sucking a bit of fuel... will take it to the shop to get it timed using a gun.

Cheers.

Smokey

Return to “Trouble Shooting”