Brumby Stops???

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
SUBA ROO BRUMBY

Brumby Stops???

Post by SUBA ROO BRUMBY » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:58 pm

I have a 1990 subaru brumby 1800, I have owned it for 7 mths and all of a suden for no reason it will just stop running, The car runs well and has not missed a beat. And 2 times in the last 3 weeks it will just stop running while i am cruising around.

Its warm, and has no problems starting in the morning. Fuel filters have been replaced when brought.

Please Help!!!!!!

Cheers:twisted:

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 pm

innards of the electronic distributor perhaps ?, this happened to me several times. Sometimes would start again almost immediately ( even just a rolling clutch out/in re-start !). Some times engine would stop firing totally and just cruze the car to a stop. Then would turn over without starting up, and then after a few ( or many) minutes, would "fire" up when turned over again. Totally unpredictable.

went well for 4 weeks after dizzy replacement, then that one went too ! was replaced under w'tee fortunately. No problems at all after that.

only way to check is to have a meter on it when its actually cranking AND will not fire, can't 100% diagnose without the actual problem occurring when you have the tester on it. Will eventually stop totally ,and will not fire up no matter how long you wait - then you know for sure ;-(

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 am

Have you checked the switch on the back end of the ignition ? Hair line cracks could be part of or be the problem.....:(

Try searching for the thread - Brumby MV ignition switch repair - for images.:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

SUBA ROO BRUMBY

Post by SUBA ROO BRUMBY » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:25 am

Cool thanks for that will have a look at both of them!
Thanks for your hnelp will let you know what it is when i find out

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 am

If you still have the original carby setup check that the idle solenoid is functioning properly if it is working intermittantly then it will stop you brumby with no explaination

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:19 am

Second on checking the ignition switch. Happened to me and it did the same as you describe, would randomly stop then start when i turned it back on or even an hour or so later. Made me look quite dumb to the tow truck driver at one point.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:13 pm

I had an ignition module fail on me - the one in the dizzy. I suddenly got no go - in traffic, rolled to side of road, just happened to have spark plug test plug due to trying to sort other dead subaru . Got no spark, but all of a sudden got it again, nursed it home, went out to my local Autopro joe and got a new ACA brand module about 100 dollars and no problem since. Random loss of spark is usually caused by these modules.

SUBA ROO BRUMBY

Post by SUBA ROO BRUMBY » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 pm

cool will give all them a try too

Cheers for your help

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:18 pm

and DO check the fusible links, they may LOOK ok..... they are pains too
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:16 am

how could i forget the grief FL's have caused me? they are on inside of rhs guard under bonnet, almost tucked under fat wire loom, under plastic box and lok like a loop of fabric covered wire wth big spade terminals - these corrode and give intermittnt trouble. Some have replaced with used, give them a tug to test for broken, others have fitted later style in plastic box style plug in FL's

Return to “Trouble Shooting”