Water leak in 95 Gt

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
vitis

Water leak in 95 Gt

Post by vitis » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 pm

I have recently bought a 1995 twin turbo GT wagon which has a reasonably significant water leak from somewhere near the mid right of the engine. Can't see where it is coming from and it is worse when the engine warms up. Actually there is no leak when the engine is cold.Also should the small tank below the radiator cap(it connects to it) be full all the time.I know some of this may seem a bit basic but I have no manual and limited funds but this car is pretty cool and I would like to repair any minor issues myself if possible.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 pm

There is a coolant .. umm what you call it, there is an alloy pipe from left to right side of the engine, there is a gasket and its possible gone as well? give the engine a good clean and ensure its dry and trace the leak.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

vitis

Water Leak in 95 Gt

Post by vitis » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey AP you sure know what you are talking about!! It appears you are right and the leak is at the gasket where the alloy pipe connects but can I fix it myself???
There is a lot of pipework to disassemble is it easier to remove all of the gear from the top? it appears so, but can I with reasonable ability save money or am I better off taking the car into a mechanic?
If I can get to the connection I am confident on repairing it.I don't have any service manual either so am going in a little blind so to speak.
Can I download a service manual?

How hard is it?
Please advise--and thanks heaps for your help.
Vitis

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:01 pm

if you are 'reasonably' competent with a spanner, and 'extremely' patient, you could pull the entire intake manifold, including injectors, off... aternator, power steering, and aircon... to get to said pipe, then put some silicone both sides of whatever gasket is left... or get another gasket, but i would silicone it down anyways, as you wont want to come back. you will also need to glue/regasket the intake, both sides aswell. I would factor in 4-5 hours to do this job. probly a 10 beer one easy, as it is really annoying getting under there.

unless someone has a way if not taking the spider manifold off... illd love to know.

use 'search' on the forum for service manual. althogh im not familiar wit the TT, most of the EJ's are the same, just a single turbo takes up alot of space, and makes it tough to do anything around it. good luck i say
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:41 pm

maxxair wrote:if you are 'reasonably' competent with a spanner, and 'extremely' patient, you could pull the entire intake manifold, including injectors, off... aternator, power steering, and aircon... to get to said pipe, then put some silicone both sides of whatever gasket is left... or get another gasket, but i would silicone it down anyways, as you wont want to come back. you will also need to glue/regasket the intake, both sides aswell. I would factor in 4-5 hours to do this job. probly a 10 beer one easy, as it is really annoying getting under there.

unless someone has a way if not taking the spider manifold off... illd love to know.

use 'search' on the forum for service manual. althogh im not familiar wit the TT, most of the EJ's are the same, just a single turbo takes up alot of space, and makes it tough to do anything around it. good luck i say
That's right above. - mark anything where you've disconnected then you know where it goes and whcih.. its a real pain in the arse job, ive done something similar and it was a lot of ranting involved.
Cheers
AP
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Trouble Shooting”