engine pinging

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
khanacross

engine pinging

Post by khanacross » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 pm

hi all ,hope you had a great xmas .... i have a brumby with a ej22 in it ,which pings under ecceleration to me points to timing being out ,if this is case how do i fix this ? i have had the timing covers off and checked cam timing ,all looks good there ,, how do i adjust ignition timing ? or can knock sensor cause this problem ? ...thanks in advance khanacross.

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:53 pm

any ideas ?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 pm

First of all, have you checked for codes?

Is the check engine light on?

If the knock sensor is working correctly, it shouldnt ping. If the knock sensor is faulty, usually the ECU will go into limp mode and retard timing to prevent pinging. The check engine light usually comes on in this case.

Ignition timing is computer controlled and cannot be adjusted.

Has it only happened since you last filled up the fuel tank? Possible bad fuel?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

bonzaman

Post by bonzaman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 pm

you may want to check your air flow meter.had same problem with ford v8 and a replacement second hand one was the cure.
[SIGPIC]:twisted:[/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 pm

is it ecu controlled or got a dizzy grafted to it?

what grade of fuel you using, if low try upgrade and se if that fixes it.

EJ22 actually get under load pushing a Brumby? enough to ping?

Anyone know if EJ style knock sensors test same way as EA82 style in the T versions? EA82T is so easy to test it aint funny and suppose you can do much same as on EJ with a timing light for a start by painting your own TDC mark on front pulley, let paint dry, start up and observe position of mark in relation to strobe, then gently tap block near sensor with back end of half inch extension socket etc and see if your timing mark moves then slowly comes back. EA82T has a test lead connector near coil to measure voltage ...1.7 V at normal no sense and goes up to 4.5 V as it senses then retards timing for a moment.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 pm

My ej22 did the same. For some reason it was because of the timing isn't right. Easiest solution was to run on 98 and it stopped. Only disadvantage it $3-5 more each full tank:p
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:49 am

Many things cause the EJ22 to "ping" it's pre-detonation which isn't good if left for too long.

Firstly I'd look for ECU codes then look at servicing things like preforming an Upper Cylinder Clean, Injector Clean, clean or replace Spark Plugs. There are other thing to do but I'd start with these.

Also I'd do a compression check to see how the engine is to start with :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:05 am

firstly thanks for responses ,,, engine is in a brumby with cut down wiring harness so no "check engine light" ,i do run just normal unleaded NOT e10 .. engine pings very easy doesnt have to be under heavey load changing up through gears will do it from about 2000revs onwards .. compression is good and engine is good ,no smoke or even oil leaks , well maintained ..... how do i check codes with cut down wiring harness ? i do still have the two little green plugs on harness .. thanks guys .. khanacross

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 pm

not sure how you would do it without and engine check light or a diagnostic computer

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:16 pm

bump ; any ideas ?

someguy

Post by someguy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Have you tried running 98 in it?

Mine used to ping its guts off too, especially in summer.

Since moving to premium i have had better economy, more torque and no more pinging.

Definately worth the extra 10 odd cents per litre
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:34 pm

the EJ22 legacy FSM lists connector F47, terminal 19 as the check engine light. so if you are game enough, you can connect a test light to terminal 19 on connector 47 of your ECU and hopefully find engine codes. Either that or cook your ECU.

I would Suggest using these scans http://s337.photobucket.com/albums/n373 ... _diagrams/ to find the correct pin out and go from there.

EDIT// after reading scan 2 of the ECU pin out, the liberty FSM refers to connector B125 terminal 19 hope this helps.

TOONGA

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:29 pm

thanks guys ,i'll have a play

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Make sure your cam timing is correct.

Seen many engines of various makes canned for throttle body cleans, spark plugs, O2 sensors etc before cam timing was even checked.

Advanced intake cam/s will cause pinging, (only needs to be one wrong), probably log cam sensor codes - crank to cam incorrect correlation.

How old is your timing belt?
Regards

Gary ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:02 pm

How long has the EJ22 been in the brumby? if not long do you know the history of this engine?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rebuilder

Post by rebuilder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 am

Couple of things,
You really must check the ECU codes, not only current codes, but the history of codes as well; there's no other way to diagnose.
Either take it to an auto electrician, a Subaru service centre, a good mechanic, or an auto parts store with an OBD 11 (On Board Diagnostics 2) reader.
Not much help telling you to use a different fuel, theres obviously something wrong, you would have more troubles than pinging if u were off a tooth on the belt, and if the belt was old and loose, the cam sensor would know about it, and your ignition timing wouldn't be affected, only your physical intake/exhaust timing.
Your problem is electronic, unless the cam sensor is somehow in the wrong position. I don't think the engine would run at all if the cam sensor was faulty, so count that out.
Its either the Knock Sensor, or something to do with the ECU receiving cam position readings.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:44 am

I looked at TOONGs chart there and it does not show a knock sensor. These EJ20 NA have knock sensor?

rebuilder

Post by rebuilder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 am

All EFI vehicle have some system of monitoring high impact engine vibration.
It will have a knock sensor, That chart does not list engine sensors.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:25 pm

I too thought all efi had knock sensors too until someone in here said not. I believed them. Think NA EA82 mpfi doe not. A lot of cars out there where you can hear them knockin' away too, non knock efi too or stuffed sensor circuit.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:51 pm

steptoe wrote:I looked at TOONGs chart there and it does not show a knock sensor. These EJ20 NA have knock sensor?
thats one of the pin out charts for the ECU, if you look at the others there will be listings for every sensor on the engine and it is an ej22 it has a knock sensor on the back of the motor under the manifold.

TOONGA

Return to “Trouble Shooting”