1990 Subaru Liberty - How do I get the ignition barrel out?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Daydream

1990 Subaru Liberty - How do I get the ignition barrel out?

Post by Daydream » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi all,

Just had my car stolen and the b******s shoved a pair of scissors or something into the ignition barrel so now the key doesn't work in it. Rang a locksmith, who are asking ridiculous prices to come out and fix it ($400), but found one who will do it cheap if I can get the barrel out of the steering column and bring it into the shop.

Only problem is, I have no idea how to do this.....any help?

Also, sorry if there is an obvious place within this forum that can tell me how to do this, but when I searched for "ignition" I got over 500 thread results....

Daydream

Post by Daydream » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Sorry, I realise now that this is in the wrong section......derrr.

Can't seem to delete or move my thread.

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Can't say I've had a Subaru ignition barrel out, but most barrels have to be in the accessory position first, then depressing a locking device through a tiny hole in the column housing releases the barrel.
Regards

Gary ;)

richard the fish

Post by richard the fish » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Did mine after snapping the key easy. Use an angle grinder fast too

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Remove both the top and bottom trim pieces around the steering column.

You should then be able to use a screwdriver (but an impact driver will be better because they can be quite tight) to undo 2 screws that hold the barrel to the steering column.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 am

Suparoo wrote:Remove both the top and bottom trim pieces around the steering column.

You should then be able to use a screwdriver (but an impact driver will be better because they can be quite tight) to undo 2 screws that hold the barrel to the steering column.
Pretty much follow what Gannon has said but the screws normally are security snap bolts. This means when the manufacture installs them they screw in with a thread then when they are tight the heads snap off leaving a blind head. I've found using a centre punch (on an angle) and a hammer and hitting the head in a unscrewing motion, will loosen them to the point where you can unscrew them with your fingers.. then buy yourself the complete unit from a wreckers and when you go to install, you can either buy the factory bolts or just cut a slot with a hacksaw and install with a flat blade screwdriver :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

easiest thing and cheapest thing to will be find a wreck that has the keys pull out all the door lock and ing barrell and put in your car. or just get a ing barrel and have 2 keys one for the door one to start the car!!

bryan
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Return to “Trouble Shooting”