91 liberty hunting, hesitating idle (video).

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
ScubyRoo

91 liberty hunting, hesitating idle (video).

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:41 pm

G'day folks,

My lib has gone angry on idle.

This motor run 100% beautifully before the car was left in the garage for almost a year. Upon firing it back up the idle has gone to complete sh*t, where it hunts, surges and then hesitates almost to stalling before picking back up again and cycling through irregularly.

I've already ready removed and cleaned the throttle body, TPS and IACV and PCV valve. All vaccum hoses are in good condition with no leaks. I've checked the idle with the IACV disconnected and it's still rough. Good spark at each lead on both ends, a little sus on fuel as it's been sitting for so long.

I've put a video up to help you guys understand what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/D5F8yvqCzvI

Any suggestions on where to from here?

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 pm

I'd definitely be getting some fresh fuel in there for start. Then check the fuel pressure.

I'd also check the air box and the MAF to make sure it's all still clean.

Double check the vacuum hoses!

You'd probably also need to check the knock sensor to see if it's still good - if it's not been replaced it could be a good idea.

Any codes? Connect the two green plugs under the dash and turn the ignition on without running the engine and watch the check engine light flash - read the codes from Alpine Raven's check list ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks Bennie!

So it's showing codes for the TPS and IACV. Not surprising as I ran the car with each of those sensors disconnected at some point yesterday and haven't reset the ecu since. But no other error codes showing.

MAF is clean and air filter is new.

Most things pointing at fuel system but its got half a tank of fuel... I've called a mobile mechanic to deal with the issue as its going to cost me more to have someone collect 30L of bad petrol, plus my time screwing around trying to figure out what's wrong... I have other projects I'd rather be spending my time on! Hopefully Mr. Mobile mechanic can get it sorted... I'll let you know what the issue ends up being.

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Return to “Trouble Shooting”