Forester - change rear wheel bearings in vehicel or remove hub ?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
penguin

Forester - change rear wheel bearings in vehicel or remove hub ?

Post by penguin » Thu May 23, 2013 10:19 am

I just got the good and bad news from the loack mechanic today that the noise we had emminating from the back is wheel bearings, rather than teh diff that we though was on its way out.

As he can not do it until next week, I will attempt to replace the bearings. As I am use to L Series this is a new adventure. I have to drive to Sydney tomorrow hence I need the vehicle and it is too risky to use it with that much noise, something will lock up for sure at the wrong moment.

Can & should I try to leave the hub in the vehicle to replace the bearings, or remove the hub and get the mechanic to press the bearings in and out of the hub on the bench ?????

Any tips appreciated.

It is a Forester 2000, manual 5 speed, 2lt model.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:34 am

Id remove the hub and do it on a bench and get the mechanic to press the bearings out/in. Will save much heartache in the long run.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

penguin

Post by penguin » Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for that - Am I likely to need anything special to remove the hub ? Got plenty of spanners & levers.

penguin

Post by penguin » Sun May 26, 2013 8:50 am

All done !

It was not as onerous as I first thought. I removed the hub and had the local mechanic press the old bearing out and put the new ones in.

I was surprised to see that there were two braking systems in the rear, disks for braking, hub brakes for the parking brake. Why not just have disk parking brakes like the L series had on the front ?

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 am

Hub brakes might be due to more reliability and the fact it won't need your car to have good disks for the parking brake to still work?

Just speculating. :rolleyes:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 26, 2013 5:59 pm

penguin wrote:All done !

It was not as onerous as I first thought. I removed the hub and had the local mechanic press the old bearing out and put the new ones in.
Good to hear :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Trouble Shooting”