Flashing Cruise Control light -MY07 Outback

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
SUBYDAZZ

Flashing Cruise Control light -MY07 Outback

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Anyone ever had the cruise control light start flashing as they're driving along? It happened to me a few weeks ago.

I'm aware it can flash if the Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, and will also flash if the cruise control is disabled by holding the cruise button down while turning on the ignition.

Anyway, I searched the owner's manual and it mentioned nothing about it flashing excluding these two situations so it has me stumped. Only thing I can think of is that I was driving on snowy/icy/muddy roads at the time with a low ambient temperature (around freezing point) and it may have decided that using cruise was unwise in the conditions (which is fair enough). But what I don't understand is that because mine doesn't have traction control, how (if it did) know all this? If that is actually what happened...
SUBYDAZZ

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:53 pm

t/c only detects slippage wich can happen on any grade other wise it uses temp sensors even abs sensors can be used being 07 chances are the gearbox and diff are electronic thus having all the sensors required if anything try disconnecting the battery for an hour... it resets the computer... read thoroughly through the manual though as im not sure if your model has a BCM or anything which will be reset in the process also if it uses the original stereo get the code if as everything computerised is reset

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm

It's a manual gearbox so I assume it doesn't have a T/C (if by T/C you mean transmission computer?). It only needed a re-start to clear the light. I'm more interested in what caused it. Disconnecting the battery for an hour usually doesn't reset the ECU either, as most models store the codes in non-volatile memory, it may clear a check engine light, but the code that caused it will most likely still be there. Will have to get them to scan it next service and see if they can find anything in there, although because it wasn't a check engine light I wouldn't think so.

Also what's a BCM? It has the original stereo but there are is code to enter as far as I know.
SUBYDAZZ

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm

i meant traction control and generally commodores, falcons, most jeeps and toyotas computers reset after a set time with out charge generally no more then an hour it wont remember the code but the part playing up will set it off again a BCM is a body control module most computerised cars have them its just an annoying piece of junk that stops the computer from working if its upset ideally there should be a code there but in saying that it could,ve just been a bump in the road that caused it... cold weather can tend to destroy batteries and play with voltages or amperages to be more precise but it probably was a one off thing i guess just try again and see if it does it

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:08 pm

24 Hours for a subaru to reset i think.
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm

hahahahaha the thousand reasons i hate computers

shoemakergcl

flashing cruise control light in Impreza R 06

Post by shoemakergcl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:43 pm

:confused: I have just driven back from Sydney to Gosford, warm evening, clear skies, freeway run, and noticed the cruise control light was flashing and not doing it's thing.

The car was running well, so I kept going, and checked the manual when I got home. No mention of flashing lights, as you say, SubyDaz.

So, I checked the fuse, which is okay. I turned the engine over to see what happens and it seems to be working again. Strange. But our's seem to be the only posts. How has your car gone since your post?

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a sign of serious things to come?

lickabout

Post by lickabout » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 am

SUBYDAZZ wrote:Anyone ever had the cruise control light start flashing as they're driving along? It happened to me a few weeks ago.

I'm aware it can flash if the Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, and will also flash if the cruise control is disabled by holding the cruise button down while turning on the ignition.

Anyway, I searched the owner's manual and it mentioned nothing about it flashing excluding these two situations so it has me stumped. Only thing I can think of is that I was driving on snowy/icy/muddy roads at the time with a low ambient temperature (around freezing point) and it may have decided that using cruise was unwise in the conditions (which is fair enough). But what I don't understand is that because mine doesn't have traction control, how (if it did) know all this? If that is actually what happened...

Hi, I have a my06 outback, and had a similar issue some years back. I returned to the vehicle one day and started the engine and it would only rev to about 1500rpm. I switched it off and restarted and the throttle response was normal, and the cruise control light was flashing.

As i was a long way from civilization i drove the vehicle with the light flashing to a town before i was game to switch it off. I rang the service manager where i purchased the vehicle and he told me "OH THEY DO THAT" and advised me to travel as per normal until i could get the fault code cleared. Whe i restarted the light was off and has never come back on again. cheers

H-top

Post by H-top » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:53 pm

usually emission related on Subaru.

can be an 02 sensor on its way out
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Return to “Trouble Shooting”