L series cannoct select 4WD

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
ScoobieDoob

L series cannoct select 4WD

Post by ScoobieDoob » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:21 pm

went to engage 4wd for the 1st time today only to find the lever will not move from the front wheel drive position, the car had a second hand gearbox fitted around 18 months ago and since then neither i nor the previous owner (whom i know very well) have gone to use 4WD, so this is new to both of us, any thoughts suggestions?

julian

Post by julian » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Check that the lever is not sloppy, it should be pretty tight- if not then you might need new selector bushes.
Check gearbox mounts are not damaged, but that is unlikely if it is still selecting FWD gears satisfactorily.
The last and worst possibilty is that the rear drive shaft components in the box have worn, others could clarify.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Agree with the above...some other suggestions....
It may also be technique if you havn't done it before.
While you can engage 4x4 when moving if it's an older box it's really best to engage it while stationary. Also make sure your foot is on the clutch.
Have you tried pushing with more force? Obviously don't wrench it but sometimes it can take a little more force than you may be expecting. Certainly more than what is required on the normal gear selector to select gears.

This may be a stupid question but are you sure it's not already in 4x4? Maybe it's been driving around in 4x4 the whole time, can the lever go any further down?

julian

Post by julian » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:43 pm

I doubt he would get far if he has driven around in 4x4 for 18 months, unless he hasn't turned any corners... :) Would bind up till it went 'pop-crunch-bang'
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

ScoobieDoob

Post by ScoobieDoob » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:17 am

the 4wd lever will not move as in it seems to be pretty rigidly stuck there, is it possible for the spanner monkey who put the box in to have buggered up the re fitment of the linkage and jammed it?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:12 am

In that case yeah, that seems likely

ScoobieDoob

Post by ScoobieDoob » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:26 am

ah well, underneath we go!

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:32 pm

julian wrote:I doubt he would get far if he has driven around in 4x4 for 18 months, unless he hasn't turned any corners... :) Would bind up till it went 'pop-crunch-bang'
Not normally, but you rear tyres will wear a lot quicker, they will scrub a little to release the bind. You'd certainly feel it on tight turning.

Also (unlikely) is the box the same gear ratio as the rear diff, and are all the tyres the same size? Really does sound like a selector issue here.
SUBYDAZZ

ScoobieDoob

Post by ScoobieDoob » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:46 pm

SUBYDAZZ wrote:Not normally, but you rear tyres will wear a lot quicker, they will scrub a little to release the bind. You'd certainly feel it on tight turning.

Also (unlikely) is the box the same gear ratio as the rear diff, and are all the tyres the same size? Really does sound like a selector issue here.
no idea on the ratio front, i dont know what the donor box came from and neither does my mate, its marked as being L series but i assume that the Leonie ran the same box with different final drive ratios?

Also update on the prob, it will now select 4WD high but is very stiff to move and has zero drive in what is apparently 4WD lo, in 2WD mode the box is fine apart from a slight whine in 1st, methinks the 4WD section of the box may be stuffed?

EDIT: all 4 tyres are the same size

kiwi_subaru

Post by kiwi_subaru » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:32 am

you could try undoing the select rod that goes to the low range and try and see if you can move it?
I rather be 4wding in my Subaru buggy MY body with 600mm cut out. EA82T dual range (1.59/1 ) twin hand brakes, welded rear diff, 12.5 wide atv tyres.

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:33 pm

[ rather be 4wding in my Subaru buggy MY body with 600mm cut out. EA82T dual range (1.59/1 ) twin hand brakes, welded rear diff, 12.5 wide atv tyres.

Post some pics of your buggy bro.:-D
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

ScoobieDoob

Post by ScoobieDoob » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am

kiwi_subaru wrote:you could try undoing the select rod that goes to the low range and try and see if you can move it?
shall try that

Howie#4
Location: Tassie, the only state to be in... other than pissed!

Post by Howie#4 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 pm

This may sound like a stupid suggestion to all those senior members out there but in your steering wheel facing straight ahead?
'92 l series sportswagon, 2" body lift, 2l weber carby, straight through 2.5" exhaust, kingsprings, kyb shocks, 27" toyo's, fireball capacitive discharge ignition module, MSD blaster coil, kingsprings, kyb shocks

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Maybe the selector rod is out of adjustment?

More importantly I'm a little miffed as to how is it possible to not use 4WD in that long, unless car has not been driven at all!?
SUBYDAZZ

Return to “Trouble Shooting”