Hatchie needs your help...

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:14 pm

that would changed with the sound of the motor tho??
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:13 pm

It does seam to be getting louder.
It doesn't seam to do it in reverse although this has been difficult to test

Yeah leaning a lot towards it being the box. I would agree with some sort of problem with the hub nuts as suggested or flywheel if it created some sort of vibration i could feel in the car.

Keep the ideas coming fellas... this is great.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:25 pm

Please don't take offence / or me calling you an idoit by the simplicity of the following post.

We had a trip member with a very similar sounding of symptoms.

Car was put on a tray top back to Rising Sun a couple Easter Mondays ago 400km form Adelaide. Several very well respected Subie gurus spent a lot of time trying diagnose the problem roadside. Noise sounded terrible, like the car was going to implode. Worse on load / corners, EJ AWD (WRX gear box) in a L-Series.

Could not duplicate the noise on the hoist back in Adelaide / all bearings, shafts - everything checked out fine.

the answer in the end?

(very) slightly loose wheel nuts - torqued up with a rattle gun, no more noise for the car's remaining 2 years on the road

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:40 pm

The wheel nuts isn't as silly a suggestion as some may think, it's happened to me too but it was only noticable at low speed, 10-20KM/H.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, hope none of you read this before tomorrow as that would be really sad!......... my excuse is that we are in Perth therfore the time difference still gives me plenty of time to get to a BBQ and bring in the new year!

tex

Post by tex » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:43 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
Just wondering if this problem happens in every gear amd if so does the frequency (speed) change with either the amount of revs or speed and does it vary also if you have a five speed try it in that too as it and reverse are generally on the same lay shaft in the gearbox whereas 1 to 4 are normally on the same one Hopefully these other blokes are better than me cause I normally need to listen to noises first hand but if it is a thud noise it sounds more like a mount or something torn and something hitting on the body! but hopefully a cheap and easy fix.

"(very) slightly loose wheel nuts - torqued up with a rattle gun, no more noise for the car's remaining 2 years on the road[/QUOTE]"
Arrgh that makes me cringe Please please please say no to rattle guns especially on wheel nuts they are for lazy tyre shops as they crack and destroy mags and other expensive alloy wheels plus overe excited apprentices used them to tear the thread on my wheel nuts and studs Any 'Proper' tyre shop will use either a 4 way brace or a torque bar on the rattle gun (Plus if you have a flat you stand a chance of changing it yourself)
"HAPPY NEW YEAR, hope none of you read this before tomorrow as that would be really sad!......... my excuse is that we are in Perth therfore the time difference still gives me plenty of time to get to a BBQ and bring in the new year![/QUOTE]"
Yeah tonight I am really sad cause the missus is really crook so shes im bed and I'm going to watch all the crackers on tv!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:09 am

it cant be the wheel nuts..Dave's changed the cv's where the wheels have to come off..i highly doubt he'd forget to torque them up :)

as another idea, is there anyway it could be the spigot bearing? or would this be a constant grinding sound?

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:44 am

Yeah hopefully when you split the motor/gearbox apart it will turn out to be something external to the gearbox (spigot bearing, thrust bearing.... maybe some of the clutch pressure plate bolts or flywheel bolts have loosened or something).
I suppose it doesn't matter if it turns out to be one of those or the gearbox anyway cause you already have the spare gearbox and it's the same amount of work to swap out anyway pretty much :)
Just checked, I still have a couple of hours to lend a hand Wednesday arvo if required.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:52 am

about 2 yrs ago, my Liberty sedan with AWD single range gearbox had constant knocking when you are de-accleration, it sounded like metal to metal clapping been to mechanics and so on... and all pointed to the gearbox - couldnt be bothered to solve it and I found D/R box waiting to go in, about 3 months later since I diagnosed the noises the gearbox's centre diff went and was slipping badly so I changed the clutch and gearbox over the noise went so it was the gearbox clunking inside... I have the gearbox in the garage waiting to be opened up to inspect - havent had time or gotten around to it...

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:03 pm

ur exhaust isnt hittin on something isnt it..
probly not tho.

i wuld doubt that this noise is gonna be a part of the clutch...

also wheel nuts are a very godo suggestion aswell. as is Hub nuts, ball joints even bolts holding the font struts down basically all suspension bits etc.

Mountings are all tight still aye?

but i wuldnt think dave wuld miss checkin something like that. which wuld kinda put it down to the Motor or Gearbox, hopefully being the gearbox as its cheaper and easier to replace.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Have you looked at your engine and gearbox mounts. They may be damaged. Acceleration causes the engine and gear box to move about more.

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for all the coments and suggestions. I have had axle nut problems in the past and this noise is nothing like i have ever heard in 8 years of subi building. All obvious problem areas were checked very closely.

Today Jaffa and i concluded it must be the box and removed the entire motor to get the box out (YES this is the ONLY way in my car). Upon draining the oil from the box a 2nd time a huge 3.5cm gear tooth fell out.

So problem is now found and the new box with the motor is now sitting in the hatch... just need a few more hours to hook the Super charger and everything in the engine bay back up.

Thanks everyone who made suggestions on what it could be. HUGE thanks to Jaffa (Blackmale) for his help today and giving me a gear box. Could not have done it without you mate. Also big thanks to AndrewT for the loan of the engine hoist once again.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:04 pm

3.5 cm! wow that is huge. and a tricky one to diagnose. glad u got it all done in the end.

mattims

Post by mattims » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 pm

so how many gearboxes is that hatchy has eaten so far. I can only see the supercharger increasing its appetite

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:34 pm

This is the first box i have removed in worse condition than when it was fitted. I had a VERY rough trot trying to get a decent box when i first did my EJ conversion.

Dave

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Geez... Hutchie would've been working hard!!!!
All the best.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:51 pm

No worries Dave, anytime (well almost) you know that. Hopefully she will be a good/strong box and it will not require removing for quite some time. Let me know how the box goes once there is some oil in it.

OH SWEET,
AndrewT wrote: From now on I will just assume all your posts are a joke :)
As I was considering returning you engine crane via my house :D.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Got it all in and everything appears good again... only problem is the box is infact a 3.7 not a 3.9 so i will need to change the ratio of my LSD.

Dave

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:16 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:This is the first box i have removed in worse condition than when it was fitted. I had a VERY rough trot trying to get a decent box when i first did my EJ conversion.

Dave
Err, how does a gearbox improve in condition after it is fitted into car?
SUBYDAZZ

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:00 pm

I never said they improved. But they never got worse either. Most were in for a very short amount of time becuase they had problems.

This is the only one that came at WORSE than when i put it in. Concluding... Hatchie busted this box and none of the others.

Get me??

Dave

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:31 pm

ive got 1 of hatchies old boxes in my car its a gr8 box

it isnt hard to change the ratio im sure u have done it b4 dave if not i can give u a hand
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Return to “Trouble Shooting”