H6 Error Code and Diagnostics

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
robdddd

H6 Error Code and Diagnostics

Post by robdddd » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Help,

2001 H6 Outback ECU error

Tonight driving home up the freeway and the engine check/warning light came on.

While waiting for takeaway I checked under the dash to see if there were similar on board diagnostic plugs like with my EJ22. I found a pair of green plugs however not the pair of black ones, there was a larger flat grey plug with two black wires running to it so I was thinking maybe I need to connect across this?

Any one know?

Otherwise I am taking t to the dealer tomorrow as it is still under the extended warranty. Still like to know though in case this comes up on a trip in the future!

thanks

rob

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 am

It's OBD11 and there are 100 odd codes so you need to check it with a monitor.
Common codes are cylinder misfire(yes the ecu can tell which one). This is due to the 1.1 gap platinum plugs wearing out before 100k km. I normally ditch the 1.1's for the .8mm plugs from the second gen EZ30R.

Remember that dealerships are full of second rate mechanics who give no fark for how they spend your money.
Cheer. Al.

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks Al,

Dropped into Subaru Osborne Park this morning, it was a catalytic converter error, they cleared it and all is OK. Suggested it may have just dumped some extra fuel through the system or something like that?

Anyhow it made me think that something like this would be handy http://www.scangauge.com.au/ anyone have any experience with these or something similar?

rob

seagull

Post by seagull » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 am

Rob , are you running the 98 run fuel . The H6 requires this & even one tank or a half tank will give you problems

I have owned a H6 & know the related problem

seagull

Post by seagull » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:55 am

Simon at welshpool auto electric has the OBD reader as well guys . Top bloke as well

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:57 pm

thanks Seagull, yep always go the 98 as i believe it gives better milage too...however I admit the night before I had toped up with the other after queing for ages got to the bowser and there was no 98! interesting

Return to “Trouble Shooting”