Tearing hair!

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Ross

Ross

Post by Ross » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:05 am

OH NO! It's doing it again! I'm no longer tearing hair, I'm now pounding the bonnet with both fists!
Ok. Logic eventually said to ring a Subaru mechanic. We don't have one of those in my town. If we did he'd have had my car months ago. I spoke to a head mechanic in a Suby dealership in another town who was only too happy to listen to me.
Now, this is what he said. Seemingly the Brumbies have a problem with cokeing up of the cylinder heads. As a, sometimes, result of that, bits of coke flake off and lodge under a valve thereby stopping the motor suddenly. It isn't unusual. In fact it happens so often Subaru have developed and sell a product that apparently, when put into the motor, decokes the heads. I now have a can of that stuff and I plan on trying it out. Why not? If it doesn't work the first time then I'll get another can and if that doesn't work I'll sell the bloody thing to a scrap dealer! Enough is enough! I'm just about totally disenchanted with Subarus. With this one anyway. I've driven the thing about three thousand Kilometres since I've had it. What an absolute waste of money!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:27 am

where are you buying your fuel from ? Same place, all over the place, any dodgy place with cheapest or...... you not put any ethanol blend in have you? Someone in here has a signature to the effect not to use ethanol blend in a car unless it at least has a plastic fuel tank.

Is this can of Subaru a fuel additive or oil additive? Wassit called and how much?

If Brumbies coke up their heads so too would all the MY wagons and sedans. Over the models we got different inlet manifolds, some with more pollution gear than others.

So, same symptoms? Do you exactly what your mechanic did in July? Check your invoice for clues. Just inspect and change both fuel filters again and replace is cheap. There are two filters remember.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Everyone has pretty well covered everything here but one thing for sure, Do not run your brumby on E10 (Ethanol). This fuel attracts moisture and scale will build up in your jets in the carby. It happened to me and the brumby (91 EA81) stopped in the middle of Toowoomba. Had to pull the carby down, blow it out and clean, empty tank etc etc.

I only run my brumby on BP Ultimate. Performs better, better mileage and just goes and goes. Can't kill it with a stick. And I might say that some of the standard unleaded in some service stations is E10 but not declared as such.

There was a bit on the news about this tonight as Governments are forcing the travelling public onto E10..

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:07 pm

i are running E10 Ethanol fuel in my all to time for about 1.5 years to fix the proloms with e10 just put a bottel of mefo in your tank once a mouth and all fix .
If u live in north aus at this time of the year u have to do to stop the water build up in your tank .
i have a 93 L with a ea82

Return to “Trouble Shooting”