Wheel Bearings?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
subusurfer

Wheel Bearings?

Post by subusurfer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 am

gday guys, im just looking to replace the front wheel bearings in the L series, rang around and was quoted $400 for wheel bearings! that to me sounds like a lot, i know it isnt a fun job. just wondering what you guys have paid for wheel bearing to be replaced? being a student these things arent cheap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 L series, 2" lift, 14" desert rats, perfect surf wagon in need of extra power

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:19 am

if you can take one out and have a place like CBC bearings down that way they should be cheap...not hard to do at all yourself..$400 sounds a bit high but i have not had to take my car to a workshop in years...i think even super cheap can get them in too...theres a number on the bearing and thats what they go off if they dont have a listing
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 am

Was that a genuine price for parts, or did that include labour? Try CBC bearings for the parts. There are inner and outer seals too. Labour should be around the 1 hour mark per side from memory, it can be a shit of a job.
SUBYDAZZ

subusurfer

Post by subusurfer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:00 am

SUBYDAZZ wrote:Was that a genuine price for parts, or did that include labour? Try CBC bearings for the parts. There are inner and outer seals too. Labour should be around the 1 hour mark per side from memory, it can be a shit of a job.
yer that was for parts and labour from a Subaru delaer, just trying to find the cheapest way of doing this. i had a brief look through the subaru manual and looks like it would take just over an hour to do. well i guess i just cough up the $400 then or try get my hands on some cheaper bearings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 L series, 2" lift, 14" desert rats, perfect surf wagon in need of extra power

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 am

Are there any special tools required??? Need to do mine as well!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:12 am

no spesh tools required. Make sure you get sealed bearings as well. I usually just smash the old bearings out with a hammer and the small extension from my socket set. Put the new ones in the same way. But be carefull and get them in square. Grease them up as well,
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:14 am

what CBC have is the same...just the name on the box....tools required is just a big socket to get bearing retaining bolt off and a 12 & 14 mm spaners to undo brakes...use an extension bar to knock the race out to be able to put the new bearing kit in....no special tools needed at all...once the the hub/disk is off turn it pull bearing out and then turn it over and you,ll see from the back there are grooves where you can sit the bar against the back of the race and hit it out.there is a grease seal you,ll have to get out but that can be done with a screw driver....put new race in the back and front..put new seals then place back bearing in place but on stub[grease well first]then place front bearing in
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 am

subusurfer wrote:yer that was for parts and labour from a Subaru delaer, just trying to find the cheapest way of doing this.
LOL, "Subaru Dealer" & "cheapest way" don't go together.

Any mechanic should be able to do the job easy if you can't do it yourself. Shop around for quotes for parts and labour. I'd reckon that $300 all up is achievable, perhaps less depending on parts prices.
SUBYDAZZ

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:47 pm

subaru sell the kit (bearings and seals) for the front at around $98 per side
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Cam

Post by Cam » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Cbc was around 70 or 80 bucks a corner, seals and all...

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm

I got quoted 170 a corner! if im paying near 100 for parts might not be worth the hassle of doing it myself and potentially stuffing something up???

Return to “Trouble Shooting”