tuning weber

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
camo85

tuning weber

Post by camo85 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 pm

trying to tune weber, i've got it to run alright but alittle rich but when i got to turn the car off the weber runs on ,so i backed the mixture off and the idle it shuts down alright but when cold is impossible to start until mixture is increased.(can the butterflys on the carby be not shutting off)
any suggestions would be helpful
cheers
camo

89lseries

Post by 89lseries » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:41 pm

hey camo
is it auto or manual choke? if manual make sure that the butterflys are fully closed or at least half closed when the choke is fully engaged. mine runs crap cold atm without choke in the mornings even in townsville 'winter'. if auto choke then maybe it needs adjusting?? not sure on that thou. running on seems to be fairly common for webers, both mine and me bros does it some of the time

cheers
Dl l series wagon
2 inch cat back exhuast, 32/36 weber,
CD player, tacho, polyurethane bushes, spotlight, air horns

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 am

I bit the bullet and got an idle cut off solenoid for mine. Always had to set the idle rpm below 800 but it would still run on if I had been driving in slow traffic and the engine was warmer.

Cost 50$ with idle jet (fat primary) new, not sure what cars they came out on. It screws in and replaces the primary idle jet holder.

Doesn't run on any more, still trying to get the tuning right though.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Come around some time camo, i will have a look, i have been playing with mine just now and have it so it doesn't run on, what i have found is slightly more timing advance almost stops the run on... PS i have moved, i will PM my new address. One weekend soon i am going to organise a BBQ at my place....
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 pm

GL-5 wrote:I bit the bullet and got an idle cut off solenoid for mine. Always had to set the idle rpm below 800 but it would still run on if I had been driving in slow traffic and the engine was warmer.

Cost 50$ with idle jet (fat primary) new, not sure what cars they came out on. It screws in and replaces the primary idle jet holder.

Doesn't run on any more, still trying to get the tuning right though.
I'd say the idle stop solenoid is from an XE/XF Falcon Weber 34ADM?
Regards

Gary ;)

camo85

Post by camo85 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:28 pm

a 34 adm doesn't fit a 32/36 it's too big what i found while searching the net is that part no. WEB 43914060B which is a solenoid for an 38/38 dges will fit 32/36 but not manual chokes(i think thats because i gets in the way of the choke setup.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:00 am

speaking of weber and chokes. I have an old man choke jobby never fitted but looking at it recently indicates the last owner woulda swallowed a lotta dust. What prevents dirt getting up the hole the choke arm passes through ? Just a gasket or rubber boot ?

esray71

Post by esray71 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:47 am

I also had trouble with engine run on when i tried my webber, have you tried the solenoid yet and does it work well? this link might help with jet size and tuning? Just scroll down to end of page. Good luck!

http://www.ausubaru.com/wiki/index.php? ... tor_Plates

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 pm

No run on since the solenoid has been installed.

Mine is a 32/36 DGEV. The primary idle jet is physically bigger than the secondary idle jet. The solenoid screws straight in replacing the brass idle jet holder.

Wish i'd got a manual choke though as the carbi needs to be spaced up so it fits over the top of my dizzie (EA81) but then I've got air cleaner clearance problems.

Having a break from jetting at the moment, I tried the EA81 settings on that chart but they were way to lean for me. No mention of emulsion tubes, i've got a jetting list but even on the same car with the same engine some came out with different sized chokes and air idle holes so it's hard to compare.

esray71

Post by esray71 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:43 pm

steptoe wrote:speaking of weber and chokes. I have an old man choke jobby never fitted but looking at it recently indicates the last owner woulda swallowed a lotta dust. What prevents dirt getting up the hole the choke arm passes through ? Just a gasket or rubber boot ?
the choke arm on mine passes through a nice fitting piece of plastic, i guess it will wear and need replacing at some time and i reakon they were not designed for offroad vehicles that suck up a lot of dust. :)

esray71

Post by esray71 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm

GL-5 wrote:No run on since the solenoid has been installed.

Mine is a 32/36 DGEV. The primary idle jet is physically bigger than the secondary idle jet. The solenoid screws straight in replacing the brass idle jet holder.

Wish i'd got a manual choke though as the carbi needs to be spaced up so it fits over the top of my dizzie (EA81) but then I've got air cleaner clearance problems.

Having a break from jetting at the moment, I tried the EA81 settings on that chart but they were way to lean for me. No mention of emulsion tubes, i've got a jetting list but even on the same car with the same engine some came out with different sized chokes and air idle holes so it's hard to compare.
I reakon i'll get my weber back on as soon as i get the new motor in then i'll get the carby good enough to run and take it to someone that knows what they are doing....not like me! ;)

Return to “Trouble Shooting”