Exhaust Gasket and Stud Replacement

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Tim82

Exhaust Gasket and Stud Replacement

Post by Tim82 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:43 pm

G'day all,

after the weekend ive been left with no gasket or studs on one of my exhaust to engine pipes.

having not replaced one before is there anything to look out for? is it just a case of putting in new studs and gasket, will i need any sealent or the like.

Cheers Tim

Kev

Post by Kev » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:11 pm

Why is there no studs?
Sometimes the studs can act like bolts when the nut is rusted onto them. This could be good because they may have vibrated loose.
If they didn't vibrate loose you may have hit something & stripped them in which case you will need to retap for new studs.
The other thing that can happen is that they sheered off. This is a real pain because you will need to use something like an e-z-out to remove them. I have always had troubles using them.

Kev

Post by Kev » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:15 pm

Why are there no studs?
Sometimes the studs can act like bolts when the nut is rusted onto them. This could be good because they may have vibrated loose.
If they didn't vibrate loose you may have hit something & stripped them in which case you will need to retap for new studs.
The other thing that can happen is that they sheered off. This is a real pain because you will need to use something like an e-z-out to remove them. I have always had troubles using them.
The gaskets look like they are made from the same material as most manifold gaskets, in which case they should seal ok. I have heard a lot of Suba's with leaky exhaust gaskets so other people may have more informed ideas.

Tim82

Post by Tim82 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:59 pm

Yeah the gasket blew out and then the studs must have rattled loose on the 150 km drive home, it was bloody noisey!

ill have a look at them this weekend shouldnt be too hard to replace

Cheers Tim

choinka

Post by choinka » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:34 pm

Similar thing happened to me with my old MY. But I had sheared the bolt. Check inside the hole with a torch to see if they haven't sheared and there's enough thread. Exhaust place just drilled them out and helicoiled new ones in. Never had a problem after that

Richard

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 pm

Yeah, that's what had to do to an old EA81, drill out the old thread, tap in a helicoil thread and put in a helicoil.

Probably going to be stronger in the long run than the old alloy thread too.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:39 pm

ea82 heads have 2 set of threaded stud holes.if you tear one use the other but then again helicoils r good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

Return to “Trouble Shooting”