Tearing hair!

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Ross

Tearing hair!

Post by Ross » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:33 pm

'89 Brumby. 324,000k's. Original engine. No smoke and doesn't use oil.
It has had, over the last few months, new plugs, new plug leads. A complete carby overhaul and timing checks. New fuel lines and new fuel filters and it has a bad problem that I can't remedy. It's an intermittent problem.
It just stops! The engine will suddenly run flat, wont accelerate and the engine just dies. To restart takes a bit of time. I have to plant the throttle right down onto the floor and wind away the starter motor for maybe a minute or more. Eventually, one piston will fire and then after a while another will fire up and suddenly all will fire and the engine will run rough for a few minutes with no acceleration then all will be fine until I come to a rise or hill. I have to go back a gear to keep the revs up or the motor will fail again.
I can go for days with no problems at all then it starts again.
Could it be muck in the tank causing a fuel blockage? My mechanic doesn't know what the problem is. He doesn't think it could be the fuel tank though. What else could it be? Anyone?
Regards
Ross.

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:51 pm

I don't know the fault, but i would definitely say don't crank the engine for anywhere near that long cus you'll damage the starter motor. Give it time then try again.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Have you checked for spark when it is doing this? Are you sure it is fuel related is what I am getting at. There is two simple things to look for with that carby motor, fuel and spark.

Can you hear the fuel pump going? I think with that model there is an electronic fuel shut off on the carby that plays up from time to time that needs to be checked too.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Have you checked the coil OR distributor?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:24 am

I second checking the dizzy and coil.

justincase41

Post by justincase41 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 am

Make that 3 for coil or dissy.
Current :
1992 Brumby (Future EJ20 Conversion)
2007 Toyota Prado 120
2012 Great Wall V200 (daily driver)
1997 Subaru Outback
1999 Toyota Surf (Beach Basher)
Past:
To Many to list!

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:34 am

We had the same problem in one of our cars. We went through all the things we could think of . It was as if the car was starving when it got to a hill. Also it took abit to get it started again.
On the fuel in let on the carby on the ea81 we have found there are 2 types of inlets . A single and a double. What was happening was the fuel was getting to the carby and then instead of going into the carby it went back along the 2nd line. It was like it was easier for the fuel to go along the return line , instead of pushing past the needle and seat. All we did was replace the double with the single inlet and havent had a problem since. Hope this helps.
Check all the other things that people have said . As there are many things that can cause it to happen . I thought i would post this as it sounds alot like what we had happen. Best of luck .
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ross

Post by Ross » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks fellas,
The dizzy was checked along with the timing a couple of times over the last few months, but, the coil wasn't checked to my knowledge. I never gave that a thought. I'll renew the coil in a few days time and hopefully that will fix the problem. I'll also get my mechanic to have a look at that secondary fuel inlet whilst he's got the ute for its rego' inspection.
Unfortunately my mechanic isn't a Subaru man, more a Holden man and yet, he looks intelligent.
Regards
Ross.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:27 pm

you have renewed the rubber fuel lines not the whole stel section? My experience similar to yours - it would always do it in the cold of the night after standing for several hours and hardly ever during daytime temps. The resulting fix was to open up the fuel tank with very low fuel level and blow compressed air from the front filter to the back filter - CLEAR!, then from the pump to fuel tanks when all of a suden a rusty crud THOONKED into the fuel tank bottom. Cleaned that out and problem never happened again. This tale has been helpful to others with similar problem. I still have the coil I bought to replace original - it's in its box , still there after ten years ! I will use it one day I'm sure.

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

I had a similar problem but not quite as bad (84 Wagon). Dying up hills and when open throttle. Was the fuel pump for me. It still worked but just not enought to go anymore. Because it was still working I went ahead and changed filters, rebuilt carb etc before i realised that it was the fuel pump. Never tried changing fuel to single line though. I might have got away with it.

My 88 brumby's fuel pump turns off when the engine stops but my 83 Sedan doesn't. Is it possible for a loose connection in whatever senses engine rotation in the brumby? Thats if the fuel pump is cutting out.

tony

Post by tony » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:37 pm

suggest you change the fuel filters at the tank and under the bonnet.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 am

sounds like a badly blocked fuel line from the tank to the carby as suggested clear the line with compressed air I would do it on an empty tank as well but disconnect both ends of the fuel line and blow the line from the tank end just make sure you have a stunt friend holding a container over the fuel line at the engine end to catchthe gooop

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 pm

GL-5 wrote:My 88 brumby's fuel pump turns off when the engine stops but my 83 Sedan doesn't. Is it possible for a loose connection in whatever senses engine rotation in the brumby? Thats if the fuel pump is cutting out.
No, this is normal for the 88 ute - from '84 onwards (I'm sure that was the year) as a safety precaution the fuel pump was to prime the lines for a few seconds the shut off - this is so that in an accident the motor generally shuts down with the ignition on - if there's a ruptured fuel line your '83 sedan will drain the tank all over the road causing a hazard, where as the '88 ute will spill a little bit of fuel before it shuts off therefore reducing the risk of fire...

As most have said it could be the fuel pump or fuel lines. I'm still leaning towards the distributor - these are electrical (no points) and will break down over time causing an intermittent fault. This happened to a work mate, her ute is yet to hit 200,000km but is driven daily. It drove her nuts and cost her some money at the mechanic before they pin pointed the dizzy. She had it rebuilt for about $600 (yes expensive but now she shouldn't have to worry about it again) instead of going second hand with the potential of the same problem.

All the best with it, once you've got it sorted you'll be as happy as larry!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Toonga suggests blowing from tank back but problem may be in the tank pipe that does not get compressed air shot. Trial and error is easier once you collect a few spares....

tony

Post by tony » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 pm

replace both front and rear fuel filters.

Ross

Post by Ross » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 am

G'day everyone,
Thanks for all the suggestions. My Brumby is now at the mechanics with a list of all you have suggested. He is going to start with blowing out the fuel lines and continue from there if needed.
This is a great forum for those of us who love our Subarus but who have very limited mechanical knowledge about them.
Keep up the good advice fellas and again, thanks.
Ross.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:38 am

Don't ask me how it gets in there, but check for grit inside the float chamber of the carby. It doesn't matter how many fuel filters you have, somehow it can get in there. I speak from experience.
SUBYDAZZ

Ross

Post by Ross » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Just got the Brumby back from the garage. Yep. It was the fuel lines and a tank half full of sludge. Two new fuel filters and she's back to flying low.
Thanks again everyone.
Ross.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Good to hear mate! If Sunnie has a similar problem I'll be sure to check out the fuel lines! Painful but glad you've got it sorted...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Great to hear that you had the problem fixed/sorted.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Trouble Shooting”