pressurising overflow bottle

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
stamp_licker
General Member

pressurising overflow bottle

Post by stamp_licker » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:12 pm

this is the deal the overflow bottle fills and pressurises.the car isn't hot when it does this.at idle sitting it doesn't happen drive up the road and off it goes.the caps not hot the hoses aren't hot.the guys at the rad shop r scratching their heads they wacked on a higher pressure cap before closing and it still happens.the system has been flushed.the heads dye tested [not leaking].the only thing they haven't looked is the thermostat,they r thinking their isn't one or part of one in there and maybe causing to much flow?.has anyone had a similar prob or know a fix ?i'll be checking for a thermostat tomorrow.
Thanks Will
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Re you other post postie - ya got me stumped though. :?
Sorry mate

twc

Post by twc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:41 pm

Had this problem on one of my (very)earlier subarus, turn out as far as we could tell a weeping head gasget. Did all the tests as you are doing and the final straw was to remove/ inspect the heads . All appeared to be as good as new.Never did find the actual cause except to say the heads went back on with NEW gasgets. Problem disappeared.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:46 pm

the mystery cont........ did a co2 test and still not showing any leaks yet the coolant goes and then gushes out the top.has developed a miss now .to pull or not to pull the motor . :?

steve_rising_sun

Post by steve_rising_sun » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Unless you used an electronic CO tester it sounds like headgasket. The old chemical testers need a large amount of gas to change colour. Does motor miss fire at idle after restarting, having sat for a while?
Steve

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Take the top radiator hose off and start the enigine if you have water pouring out of the top hose you dont have a thermostat in there put one in that works and try again. If like Steve said it has a misfire after it has been run and sat for a short period when hot it will be a headgasket.

One other thing i just thought of is that the system isnt bleeding out the air properly drill a small (3mm) hole in the side of the thermostat to allow it to bleed the air cause if it dont get hot the minimal water in the engine turns to high pressure steam and pushes all the water out.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:05 pm

the turbo motors out and the old n/a ea is back in .i'll be pulling it down to have a look,its a shame only had it in there a week and it was a real pleasure to drive.yeah the ea82T has started to develop a small miss.gotta get it right before i put it back or the missus will kill me. :roll:

Return to “Trouble Shooting”