MY disc rotor types

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
subybrumby

MY disc rotor types

Post by subybrumby » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi people, just trying to work through something here.

I have a 92 brumby which I am positive is stock as. It has vented front brake rotors. I got some brake rotors of an MY wagon recently and they were solid and about 11ml thick.

According to the brake specs in the gregorys manual (page 203) utility models should have 10ml thickness rotors. It doesn't say anything about vented or such. Then there are specs for rotors that are 18ml thick. (I am having some brake trouble on another brumby I have and I am wondering if the wreckers did a little switcheroo on me:- ie wrong rotors for the calipers)

I take it that the models they refer to are australian seeing as the Gregorys Manual is an Australian print.

Sooo, can anyone tell me what model MY here in Australia has which rotors including the MY wagons and 2 door hatch. (I know where a couple of wrecks are) That is to say, thickness, slotted or otherwise. I know that there are different caliper locking pins too. And the bleed valve is different sizes on some also. Thanks.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm

brumbys got slotted rotors in 1988 as I understand it but others could dispute this as I ve heard of 84-5 models having slotted rotors as well

the older calipers wont fit on the newer rotors and vice versa

sorry I cant help much more than that

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:10 pm

My M.Y. wagon which is an 82 model had solid disks and a 82 leone which we just took the solids off and put vented on. On both accounts we had to change the calipers, disks and caliper mounts. Also the bolt that is undone to swing the caliper up is a totally different set up. That is why the caliper mount had to be changed as well.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Ok, thanks for this, so there is obviously two totally different set ups. Slotted would be better I thought and these would be the 18ml discs I'd say. In other words, the solids are 10ml and the slotted 18ml. Would that be correct. I think I have been given 10ml solids but calipers for the 18ml slotted. pesky wreckers. Was supposed to have all been sourced off the same car.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm

I have read that anything post-82 MY will have slotted.

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51 pm

dfoyl wrote:I have read that anything post-82 MY will have slotted.

Dean.
If 82's have fented , the 3 that we have, had solids. All 3 when we got them , were basically standard. The original owners must have went down grades instead of upgrades
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sublime

Post by sublime » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:38 pm

The last facelift of the MY model received the vented front discs. This occured sometime in 1983, possibly towards the end of the year.

Rubber bumpers will be a dead give away of the vented rotors, anything with the chrome bumpers will be solid (unless they have been changed of course). Aother change was inertia reel seat belts instead of the static type for the rear seats.

I imagine Brumbys would have changed at the same time too which means there would not be many Brumbys with solid rotors as the MY model was released in 1982.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Ok..this seems right. My 92 brumby has vented rotors. A mate of mine has 4 MY vehicles, one registered. It looks like as said that the vented brakes came in in 83. I am going down tomorrow to relieve one of his wagons of its complete front brake setup.

By the way and off topic, one of these vehicles is an MY 2door coupe that someone has thoughtlessly lifted with a chain through the cabin and around the roof. Its stuffed now. I'll get some photos of it tomorrow.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Call me a post dredger - was looking for something else.

My 84 Brumby has vented discs. Whenever I went to buy pads for an 84 Brumby and used a Bendix chart, got DB326 ? issued, which were incorrect. Been asking for DB426's ever since. Sems that my 10/84 Brumby is actually model year 1985. Tell parts guys it is 85 and most likely get flippin' L series pads ! Reckon the change from solids to vented must have been mid 84 ...

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:33 pm

My 82 wagon has solid disks, full plastic bumpers.

Doug

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:06 am

+ 1 - Solid disc for my '82 Wagon ( it has a Chrome rear bumper though )

'85 Brumby has Ventilated disc ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:10 am

Subydoug wrote:My 82 wagon has solid disks, full plastic bumpers.

Doug
That's because you're special :p

So many years have passed since this car was new, so anything could have been changed. Your car might also be late 82 which anything after 9th month was classed as the next year.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:48 am

Mommy says Im very special boy!

Date stamped into little plate is 11/82, so yeah late 82.

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:29 pm

So much I could say but best I stay quite.. try not to upset the electronics guru :)

And for Jonno.. the parts books are 80% wrong. I now only go by sample unless I brought them before and know 100% I have the correct part number.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:25 pm

82 MY Touring wagon, solid rotors and have Bendix DB326AD front pads listed in my bits part number listing, with chrome bumpers and rubber on the bumper bumpers and end covers.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”