l-seies brake problem

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Learner

l-seies brake problem

Post by Learner » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:22 pm

i got an l-series here with disc/disc. brakes don't seem to work unless i fully press on the pedal. checked the lines and don't seems to have any leaks and same for master cyl.
when engine is not running the pedal feels hard after pumping the pedal but once the engine is turning, it's soft

can anyone help with that?
1989 L touring wagon auto (project)
1969 beetle street car (project)
= me:) :D

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm

When is the last time the brakes were serviced? There may be some moisture in the system. It would be a good idea to bleed the system and put in new fluid.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:10 pm

A.T. has a good idea , but some thing else to consider is the power booster. Could it have failed. It sounds like the brakes have gone back to pre booster days. If yo have to strong leg Brake pedal , sounds like the booster may have failed. IT is something to consider if nothing else seems to be the cause.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:29 pm

if the pedal is with the engine running that is ok as that is what it so meant to do .
if it was me i would bleed the brakes all around on all 4 wheels with some new brake fluid but not the same colour then u know when u have new fluid to all the 4 brakes as when u get the new fluid out through the bleeder stop and go to the next one .
get most of the old fluid out of the master first by bleeding one of the front brakes firest
start at the back first .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 pm

there is a bleeding sequence for these and it is not unique to Subaru and it is NOT left rear, right rear left front, right front like old cars. Bleed it as I listed and you are likely to get problems. Did you drive it before and was OK and then develop or have you bought it like this? I thought it sounded booster. Start car and stop it then disconnect vac hose from booster end and see if you get a suck noise from booster when you release the vacuum

Learner

Post by Learner » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:32 am

i'll bleed the brakes first then i'll see what happens. cheers

Learner

Post by Learner » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:18 pm

bleed the brakes. they work better now but still gotta press hard before i can brke properly. i'll have a look at the booster maybe i'll have to replace the rubber.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:11 am

Learner wrote:bleed the brakes. they work better now but still gotta press hard before i can brke properly. i'll have a look at the booster maybe i'll have to replace the rubber.
First off check the vaccum line to the booster - if this is missing or damaged you will be down on the power brakes. There should be a one way valve that's pressed into the line.

If your pedal is soft when the motor is running and remains this way all is good on the booster. When the motor is not running you should be able to press the pedal two or three times before it goes hard, then with your foot on the pedal start the motor - the pedal should go soft and drop a little further down and stay at that point. If all of this happens and there's no leaks in the system I'd say renew your brake pads regardless of the amount of meat left on them.

I've just changed a mate's pads on the front of his L an it actually stops now - the old pads weren't badly worn, just cooked I think... They were certainly cracked around the edges of the pads for some reason. So if you don't know the history of the pads I'd be changing them, bedding them in slowly and see if there's any change there.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:48 pm

i had that prolom with my car had a split wear it gos on the the fittings

Return to “Trouble Shooting”