Brumby turns over but won't fire???

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
bokser

Brumby turns over but won't fire???

Post by bokser » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:19 pm

I have a 1985 Brumby, it turns over but doesn't fire - I have checked the coil, new distributor, points, plugs, condensor, set timing and fuel mix...everytime I do this it runs well but leave it over night and it has the same problem - turning over but not firing - any suggestions?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Are you using the choke?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:44 pm

if it has an immobiliser you should check to see that it isnt causing the problem

did you replace the points condenser they can look fine but if they don't work it will cook the points

and check the ballast resistor it can be faulty but still look fine

is there a good spark at the plugs or a lead when cranking

whats the compression on each cylinder like

and check the little high tension wire that runs from the points to the mount in the dizzy sometimes these break but still look like they are working because of the cover around the wire

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

bokser

Post by bokser » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Cheers Toonga - will try out these things you suggest and post a response - seems real weird to me because if I set the old Brumby up with timing, points, plugs, distributor, timing etc - then she runs sweet all day then the next day when I go to fire her up she turns over but won't fire - damn annoying!...I appreciate your suggestions and will head out to the shed soon to try out a few things....cheers.

someguy

Post by someguy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Sounds like a choke problem to me as you say its only happening on cold starts
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:31 am

Or there's no fuel in the bowel of the carbie - my old EA used to do that all the time - the fuel would evaporate as the engine cooled down. When it came time to start again I'd have to give the bloody thing a good heart starter (cup of fuel) to even manage a kick out of it.

Next time try pouring some fuel down the guts of the carbie with the top of the air cleaner removed, see what happens then - if it tries to fire there may not be enough fuel in the carbie to get it started. The remedy I found best for this was to drop in the EJ22 :twisted: It starts first time every time now. Really though I didn't bother with fixing the problem as I knew I was going to be converting to the EJ...

Hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than something that won't work properly when you want/expect it to!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Rosstoss

Post by Rosstoss » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Any luck? I have the exact same problem

bokser

brumby still not firing!!!

Post by bokser » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:51 pm

No luck yet - this has gone on way too long! - Had my Carby overhauled as well as new points, plugs, leads , dizzy cap etc - have to check the coil next - very weak spark is all we are getting at the moment........anyone had similar problems??

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:12 pm

tipping fuel down the carb when cold didnt help?

M.S.G.

Post by M.S.G. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Tipping fuel down the carb is probably not the best method becouse it is easy to put in to much fuel and flood the engine. Try to use some aero start/ wd40 / rp7 3-4 second squirt , should fire every time. If not then you have bigger issues than just evaporated fuel from the carb.

cal

Post by cal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:06 am

It's a pain in the but my liberty used to do it alot i was going mad but i changed the battery and that stoped i dont know why but it did i had a poor battery on its last leg and you could turn the key and it would seem to have enough ppower as it was turning over and over for about 5 min and what it did to get it to start untill i got a new one was get my eb falcon and a set of jumper leads hook them up and the liberty would just kick over straight away i was told by the mechanic that it was just the subaru doesnt have a hard time turning things as the engine is the biggest but though it can turn may not have enough to give itenough spark so yeah hook it up to another car with jumper leads and post your responce i wana know if it works for you like it did for me
i replaced the bat and it hasnt done it once since then

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 am

hmmmmm.......................
get some deoderant down the carby (dodgy but it works)
if it fires on that then its probably the timing.
ive seen it jump and the car simply wont start

Return to “Trouble Shooting”