Overheating 1990 "Hell Series"

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
FREEDOM

Overheating 1990 "Hell Series"

Post by FREEDOM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Gday all,

Went for a drive up to see Paul at RSR Performance.

On the way home to Parmelia I could smell something cooking.

I looked at the temp gauge.

Oh poo

The needle went as far as it could possibly get. I checked the oil to see if it was milky or not. It seemed fine. Put about 4 litres of water in the radiator. It was boiling like heck, took about 45 mins to cool down. Unsure of what to do next. Flush the radiator? I dont even know where the "plug" is. Need an oil change? I have a new filter and some oil.

Also, I think that where the fusible links are mounted to the overflow, the overflow bottle has pressurized and blown out (its looking rather bloated), unsure of what this may mean.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bye Bye Brumby... :(

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:36 pm

G'day Freedom.

I'd first off look at getting the cooling system up to scratch. If you've not had the water pump done or don't know when it was last replaced I'd get that replaced. While you've got the radiator out have it rodded or replaced. I've heard of L's running with out issues on a radiator that's 50% blocked - until an unusually hot day arrives.

As for your head gaskets, you could change the oil but I'd leave it for a while. Give it a week or two - if the oil is not creamy and your cooling system is not pressursing after doing some maintenance you're in the clear on a blown head gasket.

Also be aware that your heater core has plastic end tanks - cook the engine a couple of times and these tend to become weak, eventually leaking or in two cases that I "enjoyed" - blowing up on the freeway at 110km/h on a warm night...

I've since replaced the heater core with an all copper/brass unit, cost $220 but has been well worth it so far 8)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Ok Josh.. sounds like you had a far bit of pressure in the cooling system :(

I'd look at getting that Rad flushed and check the cap (or buy a new one as they are cheap) and change the oil and filter as that oil will be U/S.

If you like, you can drive up to the shop first thing in the morning (while it's cool) and I can have a look for you? but make sure the water is full before you leave and take some extra with you
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:05 am

stuck thermostat did this to an L I bought for $250 drove it down the street away from old owner, fitted a good used thermostat and bobs me uncle

FREEDOM

Post by FREEDOM » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:11 am

Yea I'll see if i can make it to your shop.
Bye Bye Brumby... :(

Return to “Trouble Shooting”