Brumby a/c evaporator TX valve

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
phantomD

Brumby a/c evaporator TX valve

Post by phantomD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 am

Hi all,

Well it appears that the evaporator in a stock Brumby a/c system has a weird (and long unavailable) TX valve. Anybody had to replace the TX valve before or know of where these might be available from?

At this stage it seems like some fabrication will be required with an aftermarket valve.

Thanks in advance.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 pm

what is TX valve? Where is it located? Would a used one be an option? If it is the baby attached to the evap with a knob to adjust things colder with temp bulb right in with evap?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm

steptoe wrote:what is TX valve? Where is it located? Would a used one be an option? If it is the baby attached to the evap with a knob to adjust things colder with temp bulb right in with evap?
A used one might be an option - but good luck finding an evaporator for one of these systems! It is located inline in the piping from the compressor to the coils (inside the evaporator) and restricts refrigerant flow to effect cooling.

At the moment my system intermittently fails and has the same pressure on both sides of the system, which would indicate a faulty valve.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Try Ashdown Ingram.. and take the old one with you, they may be able to match or make something else work??
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:23 am

a photo may help if you can

Smash1911

Post by Smash1911 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:16 pm

If you have the TX valve in your hands it will be easier to match one up. I would be re evaluating your diagnosis of the valve though. Typically a TX valve will either fail in the closed position (showing an extremely low pressure or vacuum on the low side) or fail open, which will allow liquid refridgerant into the compressor causing it to hydraulic. When the AC fails, what are the gauges doing? A high pressure on the low side could mean a faulty valve in the compressor, a rapidly increasing pressure on the high side could signify air in the system. A system that works, the fails, then works again after a short period of time could mean there is moisture in the refridgerant that the receiver drier cannot remove, causing the TX valve to freeze up and effectively become blocked.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 pm

The car is being worked on by an a/c shop and that was their diagnosis. They have modified the inside of the evaporator to take a universal TX valve because the Subaru one (and I saw it) was some outlandish thing long since unavailable.

I took it from them today and it is blowing VERY cold, so we will give it some time. The compressor did have a valve problem previously (it's a reman) but that was fixed.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:25 am

Great to hear.. wish my Brumby had cold A/C
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Trouble Shooting”