Distributor struggling

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
bretgc

Distributor struggling

Post by bretgc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey guys,

I've noticed over the past few weeks since the temperature has gotten considerably colder overnight that when I start my '93 L series (manual carby) it really struggles to idle and i could hear a whirring sound. So, i delved into the abyss of mechanical parts and found that it's the distributor making all the noise and vibrating. It only does it when it's cold as far as I can tell and once it's been going for 5-10 minutes it doesn't seem to have any problems. I've checked the contact points and leads and so forth and they're all good. Is this just moisture getting in there overnight or is it on it's way out maybe? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks heaps.

Bret

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 pm

By contact points you mean the inside of the cap and rotor button and the staor bits and pieces all look good? Could be further into things, like lack of whatever greaese should be used on the mechanical advance bits. Once had a Lucas dizzy in a Holden with the advance bits doin' the job a bit too much and started to decapittate the dizzy from the inside out. If you can afford another dizzy maybe try it?

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 am

Yeh rotor button and that all looks pretty good. I have a feeling I'll have to grab a replacement.

Cheers.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”