Forester Diesel does not run in cold weather

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Shack

Forester Diesel does not run in cold weather

Post by Shack » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi
I am new to this Forum and have only had my 2011 Forester diesel since Apr 11. Took it to The snow last weekend to Perisher and went well first day, did not miss a beat and was -8 at the Station and car all covered in frost. Had a full tank of Alpine fuel. Second day it was -9 at the station and had truoble sarting car, would start and 30 sec later stop. Once car started left running for ten mins while scrapped ice off windows. within 2 minutes of driving car stsarted surging and stopped. The car would start no problems run for 30 sec then stop, even when rpm upped to 2000 rpm the engine would cycle between 500 - 200- with no thrttle movement and eventuall stop still happened when blue temp light, had to tow car back to Station Car park. After getting back to car in the afternoon temp above zero car started no problems and drove arround for 20 mins.
Morning 2 and temp onf -5 same problem occured and at 10:00 in the morning once outside air temp was above zero car started and did not miss a beat and drove 6 hors back to Sydney. Took to Subaru dealer for first service and they reset ECU, has any one else had this problem as I could not find anywhere on Net.:(

BBoypebs

Post by BBoypebs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Seen this problem before. A wax depsoit from the standard desiel will still remain in the filters and will turn thick in cold weather.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Subaru Brumby (Currently being restored.:twisted: 84 brumby 2 inch Lift(very rough, Big tires)
Landrover series two. 186 holden banger under hood.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 am

Even though you are running the alpine diesel mix it is also a good idea to run an additive as well. I know guys up here that are running up to 3 or 4 different additives in their diesel depending on what the weather is going to do in the next couple of weeks - and how often they will use their diesel vehicle before it gets to the critical point for the mix they currently have.

There are many diesels that are caught out up here with the same issue - I saw a Land Rover Defender being towed off mountain today due to the same thing. RACV guys must hate it but it's all a part of the job ;)

Glad you got out safe and ok - you got off light with that one!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Good point you have there Bennie and I'd also change filters more often.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Shack

Post by Shack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks for the advice, hope the ECU reset and re learn do the trick as well. The worst thing is friends old patrol running normal diesel just took a bit to start chugged black smoke for a bit and towed my nice new car back into the Station car park, at lease he drove us to the snow for the day. Any suggestions on additive as I will put this in and run tank even lower before filling with Alpine fuel at Cooma or Jyndabine for the net trip to all that nice snow

Cheers

Shack

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm

shack mate what car u driving im a berridale boy
if u see a white brumby with a fair dinged up driver side with black sunnys and most the time reving the hell out if with green ps thats me

Shack

Post by Shack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Brockharro

2011 Pearl white Forester Premium, great car to drive and from what I have been reading will diesel will only get better with miles. Just hope the next trip to the snow will go with out a hitch as there is plenty of snow for the boarding.

Shack

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:11 am

I'm not sure but I'll ask my mate when I see him next. I'm a petrol boy - it definitely has its advantages up here!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:03 pm

hahaha i cant even afford a season pass stupid perisher
snow is soo good tho

Shack

Post by Shack » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Broharro

Snow is good shame it is a bit costly, looking at trying some Lucus Extreme Cold Weather additive if I can get, should do the trick along with the Apline fuel. Should be bable to get up to the snow and enjoy. Hopefully I have madec wise choise on the Diesel Forester rather than the petrol. Did not have the extra cash for the Forester S.

Shack

Car works well

Post by Shack » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Not sure what fixed the problem but but used the lucus extrememe cold weather in fuel when I filled up in Sydney and again when I filled up in Cooma with 3/4 tank of Alpine fuel. Car went from the Station to Perisher all weekend didn't miis a beat. Although it only got to -5 which was warmer than the -10 last trip.

Shack

Return to “Trouble Shooting”