Crossbred Rear Brake Assembly Trouble

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Wagonman

Crossbred Rear Brake Assembly Trouble

Post by Wagonman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:28 am

I recently fitted the Crossbred Preformance Brake kit onto my L wagon with out instructions. All was reasonably fine until Paul/RSR555 pointed out that the adaptor plate should be mounted between the backing plate and the swing-arm. I dont know if it is but despite what people say about him, Paul is a decent bloke and i trust him so today i checked it.

I noticed 2 things. First there was the minor scoring on the plate itself from the handbrake lever operation. So there was a clue that it aint right. But the part numbers on the adaptors had the last letters of R and L which is why I had put them on the outside of the backing plate. This was the only way they fit with the letters L and R corresponding to left and right. Pauls suggestion of fitment meant i had to swap them over causing havoc in my slightly OCD mind. I did it anyway and it all fit together better in my opinion.

BUT the brake rotor did not move central to the caliper as also suggested. In fact now the mounting bolts scored my rotor and after spacing them out the rotor still interferes with the caliper mount. If i put the wheel on the whole thing locks up.. leaving me without a drivable car and one day to sort it.

Does anyone have any experiece with the kit or info i should know.. help..

I have an idea to get it on the road but it shouldnt have to come to that mauritian style of repairing. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:41 am

I cant quite remember cos its a while since I've done mine, but I think the backing plate goes against the trailing arm, and the adaptor plate goes on the brake drum side of the backing plate.
This is because a bolt with an allen key head goes into the trailing arm side, though the backing and screws into the adaptor plate
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Point

Post by Point » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:32 am

^^What he said. I initially thought that the adaptor went on first, but when i finally read the instructions I had to swap it around. PM your email and I can send you the pdf instructions.

90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Awesome GIF mate! Cheers for the input guys. Ill swap them over yet again and see what happens.

Does the rotor itself sit central to the caliper or closer to the car side?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Wagonman wrote:Does the rotor itself sit central to the caliper or closer to the car side?
I thought subaru used calipers that are sliding calipers - meaning that the centre point of the caliper moves with the sliding action until you put a fixed rotor into the equation which is what centres the caliper...

Clear as mud?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah, what you said sounds right ;) Turns out i had it right to start with. But it was definitely worth going over it again because i found they werent sitting on quite right anyway. Plus i now know exactly how to put the handbrake back together no sweat haha.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Awesome Gif Point!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Return to “Trouble Shooting”