What Distributor Should I Have?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Buddyboy

What Distributor Should I Have?

Post by Buddyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Guys,
Me again, as you know I have purchased a 1989 Brumby Ute. I now realise that the previous owners have been "playing around" with different parts on the vehicle. My question is, what brand and type of Distributor comes standard on the 1989 Brumbyl. I have purchased a Distributor from a wrecker that told me that it was from a 1989 Brumby, and it has points. The Distributor that is presently on the vehicle has no points, that I can see anyway. What gives? Can I upgrade the non point Distributor?
Regards
Buddyboy.
Regards Buddyboy.

"Subaru, when only the best will do".

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 pm

The points dizzy will do the job, but you'll have to maintain the points themselves as usual.

We've got this dizzy in Sunnie the Brumby - it broke down at easter last year and it turned out to be the little module in the dizzy that needed replacing:

If there's very little to no shaft play in your old dizzy it would be worth replacing that little module thing, part number:

E12-61:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 pm

El_Freddo wrote: We've got this dizzy in Sunnie the Brumby
What year is she?
Buddyboy wrote:The Distributor that is presently on the vehicle has no points, that I can see anyway. What gives? Can I upgrade the non point Distributor?
Electronic Dizzy?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm

nachaluva wrote:What year is she?
1988 build date, 1989 compliance date ;)

nachaluva wrote:Electronic Dizzy?
That's the one ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:12 pm

ACA branded parts number is IM (for ignition module I guess) 120, IM120 fits a few Japanesey cars. retails about $100. My 84 Brumby even came with electronic, may have been points to start with. Coils and dizzies are matched between points or module. What is your coil, think you need to measure the volts the coil gets with IGN on and cranking to see. If you have a dizzy, why get another??
Also clean them up and post up here the part numbers on each to help us help you and others.... DR49 ..... Hitachi

$300 or $600 from genuine for the module !!

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:19 pm

I havn't actually checked mine but would you expect a 91 Brumby to have an electronic dizzy? (will Check Sun when the engine comes out)(Will make a new thread then :))
If not, where may one find an electronic dizzy that doesn't require deep pockets?

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Steptoe, I don't know what ACA Branded parts means. However I have all the particulars off the two Distributors. The first, the one I purchased from the Wrecker, I think is a Nippondenso and has the following numbers stamped on the side 429878602, and under that D4J80-02 2Y05. The other Distributor, still in the brumby has the following stamped on it, D4R88-01, and under that 22 100 AA480, and under that, 8204. This is the Distributor that does not appear to have contact points. The reason that I purchased another Distributor is that some peanut, I won't disclose where this peanut is, informed me that all brumbys came with contact points as standard. I was in the process of upgrading the Distributor to Electronic, but it would apear that I have already have an Electronic Distributor. So much for taking other peoples advice. I have attached photos of both Distributors. The Distributor that I have in my Brumby looks identical to that in El Freddo's. Just tried to attached photos without any luck will try later.
Regards
Buddyboy
Regards Buddyboy.

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:50 pm

[attach][attach]3107[/attach]

[attach]3108[/attach][/attach]
Guys,
Top photo is the Dizzy from the wreckers and the other photo is what is in the Brumby now
Buddyboy
Attachments
Dizzy in Brumby.jpg
Dizzy in Brumby.jpg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Dizzy from Wreckers.jpg
Dizzy from Wreckers.jpg (120.95 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Regards Buddyboy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am

I'd be getting some help from FROG to identify the part number for 89 dizzy, and if it is not the same as the points dizzy you bought should be entitled to a refund from the wrecker - certain the 89 Brumby they have must have had an early dizzy swapped into it.

You have electronic dizzy in it already !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 am

holds hand , must be tired when you did not understand ??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

alang

Post by alang » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:24 am

are the gears on the shaft the same i purchase one and the gear and shaft are different one is points that fits and the other is electronic the car didn't have one in it when i purchased her.

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 am

Just had a look at my 1990 Brumby and it has the electronic type, no points.

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks Steptoe, me now know what ACA is. To answer the other question raised about the gear and shaft, I don't know, haven't taken the dizy out of the Brumby yet, and perhaps if it is electronic already, may as well leave it there. Is there anything that can be done to these electronic distributors to get a bit more "grunt"?
Buddyboy
Regards Buddyboy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Engine rebuild or as Bennie and many would scream - EJ !

25 second quarter mile yer problem?

Follow SilverBullet Sams latest post hidden under a tarp.

98 RON at the servo for starters, new plugs NGK BP6ES, cap, rotor, leads, fuel cleaner, then fuel filters, air filter, some nice oil and Z493 oil filter is a start

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:46 pm

I believe all Brumbys from 1984 onwards have the electronic dizzy in them??

You could run the points type but need the ballast resistor to stop the points burning out too quickly.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 pm

What would be the result if I were to go back to points type distributor and then install something like the Cranes Cam Fireball XR700 and PS20 performance coil. Would there be any benefit?
Buddyboy
Regards Buddyboy.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Unless you're making a high compression engine with monster fuel figures then IMO you're just wasting good money.

The original dizzy (points or electronic) work perfectly fine on the EA81. I would though recommend Champion Gold spark plugs. Independant tests showed these plugs to have the best bang-for-buck quality.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 pm

When i did the sums the XR700 and fireball coil were comparable in cost to getting a distributor rebuilt. In my case my old points style one had zero play in it (rare), so to me it was worth the xr700 kit to get rid of the points but keep my good distributor. Plus i couldn't locate an electronic dizzy at the time with a warranty. The xr700 also seemed like a good compliment for the weber and full exhaust my car is running. Going to try some iridium spark plugs with 1.1mm gap soon too, it might get more out of the fireball coil.

My 2 cents ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 am

Am I missing something?
I've an 89 Brumby and have decided to replace the points distributor with a Brumby electronic dizzy. I'm of teh understanding it's as simple as ripping the old one out and installing the electronic dizzy, but this doesn't appear to be the case. She will start but will not idle and dies under load. What am I missing guys???

Ray

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Wooster wrote:Am I missing something?
I've an 89 Brumby and have decided to replace the points distributor with a Brumby electronic dizzy. I'm of teh understanding it's as simple as ripping the old one out and installing the electronic dizzy, but this doesn't appear to be the case. She will start but will not idle and dies under load. What am I missing guys???

Ray
Not sure Ray.. open the front of your pants and check yourself :D

Only kidding mate :) you can swap from Points to Electronic easily (harder the other way) all you need is to remove the points coil and resistor and wire the new electronic coil directly to 12v ignition positive and you'll need to swap the dizzy ofcourse.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Trouble Shooting”