1982 Touringwagon Dash problem

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Subydoug

1982 Touringwagon Dash problem

Post by Subydoug » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi All,

Got an old subaru, but Cant seem to get the Electric dash to turn on. Had a little look in the footwell, but didnt want to yank on to many wires. Before I pull it apart, anyone got any ideas? Could it be the ECM? Might just get a new one anyway.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:53 am

Hi and Welcome Doug,

I would suggest checking all fuses and earths first, then if still no luck, I'd take the dash cluster out and check the fusable link on the back, if that is still ok, then last thing is to check all solder joints on the circuit board... if all that is ok then sorry, you'll need to buy a new/secondhand cluster.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am

Hey,

Checked the fuses and Earths yesterday, they seemed ok. Il have a poke around at the cluster and PCB tonight. Even if it is the PCB, I assemble PCB's for a living so maybe I can fix it. We'll see.

Thanks

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:27 am

Awesome.. if you do then we'll have someone in WA we can get to fix them :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 am

RSR 555 wrote:Awesome.. if you do then we'll have someone in WA we can get to fix them :mrgreen:
Haha, yeah, it'd be my pleasure!

Thought Id just add, the only things not working on the dash are the speedo, tacho, temp and fuel, oh and the trip computer. Everything else (indicator, oil, brake, little car thing subaru use, 4wd indicator) works. Thought that might narrow down the possable fault. Oh and these are the digital instruments so Im starting to think PCB. Anyway, wont know till I pull it apart.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Sweet.. I wish I meet you years ago.. I must have thrown about a dozen away.. DOH !!

Sounds like there's an 'air gap' in the electronic side of it. As these use the old VFDs and the other bits use ILBs.

Have you got the manual on pulling the cluster out? Makes it easier but they really aren't that hard to do.

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Nah but brute force and lubrication usually solves most problems :). Ah Il have a poke around tonight, Its not my main car so I can have it apart without pressure. Do you know how to pop it out? Something like 4 screws? Il have a look later.

Im hoping something simple like the voltage reg for the ECM is cactus, but somehow I think not as other things on the dash work. Anyway, Im sure I can trace the issue through but It might take a while. I also found a piece of loose wire under the wheel, so maybe its that simple.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Heres a photo, pretty crap from my phone, but you can sorta see what its like, and If you've had a car with this dash even better :0.

Excuse the Duct tape to, only temp to hold my gps.

I was pretty shocked when I saw this, for a 1982 car, it seems pretty high tech.

Regards

Doug
Attachments
Photo0117.jpg
Photo0117.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 5018 times

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:38 pm

lol.. brute force and lube.. what are we talking about now :rolleyes:

I do know how to remove but there has been alcohol consumbed since then :p from memory there are about 5 screws in the dash surround (one I think is hidden behind a cover next to a vent) and a couple under the wiper and headlight switches. I think it's also best to drop the steering column down a tad. Once the surround is off, you'll be able to see all the other screws.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a ECM but have a search on this forum for the workshop manual. It has instructions on removing and also a wiring diagram in it. As for high-tech, it was pretty much standard for Japanese cars in the early to mid 80's to have the electronic dash in them but Australian Dealership had so many issues with them they went back to the analogue type.

I gave my 15yo son has 3 of these Touring Wagons to make 1 good one for his first car. All 3 owe me less than $1000, so it's great to see him having fun. He has just started at Carlisle Tafe in Panel Beating. No I just need my other son to learn ECU tuning and we got the whole family business thing going :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Arh ok, hmm will have to have a dig to find out. Yeah it just suprised me because My folks had one when I was younger, and it was all analoge. Early 90s model wagon.

I have searched the web a fair bit looking for info, but thats pretty bias because you stop looking when you find what you need ;).

That sounds great, I wish this was my first car, I had a 1988 mazda B2200 pickup :O. bit of a handfull, and quite often gave me white knuckle disease.

Arh well, will look tonight and let you know how I go. Thanks for all the help!!

Regards

Doug

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Mine is an 82 touring wagon though it is the analogue type but the screws are obvious around the main part of the cluster facia but dont forget about the ones under little covers on the right hand side of the right hand vent and under a similar cover on the left of the left hand vent connected to the cluster surround (I know this does not make a lot of sense, look for the little covers that are held in with double sided tape).
I think there is also one under the coin holder beside the driver door. Take this out and I think there is a screw or 2 under there.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Cliff R wrote:Mine is an 82 touring wagon though it is the analogue type but the screws are obvious around the main part of the cluster facia but dont forget about the ones under little covers on the right hand side of the right hand vent and under a similar cover on the left of the left hand vent connected to the cluster surround (I know this does not make a lot of sense, look for the little covers that are held in with double sided tape).
I think there is also one under the coin holder beside the driver door. Take this out and I think there is a screw or 2 under there.
Yeah, Ive seen a few around the dash. Il play it by feel I think.

Thanks

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Here ya have it fellas, the goodies, so to speak. Im thinking those black spots are custom. Also, if you look at the top left of the PCB, theres the main reg for the whole show. It looks fried so Im hoping its what has failed, and the spots are hopefully where those little fuses have gone off.

Whatda think, Fixable. Im gonna do some probing but first Im gonna cook some food, Be Back later.

Regards

Doug

EDIT: Not the voltage reg, He's pumping out a solid 5v, hmm. Can you get new dash modules like this?
Attachments
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 4996 times

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:51 am

Cliff R wrote:Mine is an 82 touring wagon though it is the analogue type but the screws are obvious around the main part of the cluster facia but dont forget about the ones under little covers on the right hand side of the right hand vent and under a similar cover on the left of the left hand vent connected to the cluster surround (I know this does not make a lot of sense, look for the little covers that are held in with double sided tape).
Thanks Cliff.. I knew there was some hiding somewhere :)

yeah.. the 81 and early 82 Touring Wagons had the analogue clusters and the late 82 to 84 had the electronic.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 am

Subydoug wrote:Here ya have it fellas, the goodies, so to speak. Im thinking those black spots are custom. Also, if you look at the top left of the PCB, theres the main reg for the whole show. It looks fried so Im hoping its what has failed, and the spots are hopefully where those little fuses have gone off.

Whatda think, Fixable. Im gonna do some probing but first Im gonna cook some food, Be Back later.

Regards

Doug

EDIT: Not the voltage reg, He's pumping out a solid 5v, hmm. Can you get new dash modules like this?
Ok.. the black marks are normal and just age burns, nothing to worry about.

Oh and also it appears that you have removed the main cover section to the cluster. Personally I would have removed the complete unit. This would help with checking the PCB fuses, as these are on the back of the unit.

5V is good.. so seems unit is getting powered. I would follow along the board and see if something jumps out.

BTW.. How was dinner :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 am

Yep, I couldnt get it out :), but not to worry, I just gotta remove more stuff. Anyway, Il check out the fuses this weekend, when I get some time, but If its stuffed Im probably gonna do a DIY setup, use the origonal cluster case but modify the elects. We'll see. I did follow the voltage around the place, It all seems to work.

Dinner was satisfying :cool:.

Thanks Fella's

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Couldn't get it out? that is strange but my guess is it was just the speedo cable holding it in. Just give it a little more of that 'brute force' or pull the cable out from inside the engine bay, just enough to pull it off the cluster (about 2 or 3 inches). Once the cable is off, there is just a couple of plugs that require the tab pressed, then they just pull off.

If worse comes to worse, I might have a spare cluster that you could try? but not really sure on it's condition??

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah I was pretty gentle. I actually mostly tried to remove the PCB, but he was stubborn to. Hold up on the spare cluster, Il get this one out first and look at the fuses. When I saw those black spots I thought it was game over. Another thing I noticed the trip computer doesnt work either.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Trip computer is usually the first thing to fail. Again, this could be solder joints on the PCB.

Another thing that happens on this model is the speedo cable (inner piece) breaks and you loose km/h readings... how was the km trip meter (analogue number) thingie going? was that ticking over as you drove the car?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Yep mate, analog ticker works. yeah well if I get the thing out I can have a good probe and see.

Regards

Doug

Return to “Trouble Shooting”