1982 Touringwagon Dash problem

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Well fella's, Just got the cluster to the point I could see the Back. Where are the Fuses on it? Anyway, I decided to pull off the round connectors and give them a spray with some CRC. Plugged them back in and whamo, a really loud, really annoying screeching alarm with the car ignition ON. Any Ideas. Nothing came on on the dash that didnt before, so it looks like something else.

Ideas

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDYdi3Rv7Jk

Worked out that the PCB tracks are the fuses. None are blown. Got the PCB in hand at the moment, everything looks OK. Old but ok. Anyone got any hints as to what usually goes? I could follow it through but Its gonna take a while. If I just had a hint on where to start, might save me some time.

If I cant work it out, most of this PCB will be going and Il replace it with some modern elects keeping the origonal look. Il see how I go.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:42 am

Just got it to a state I can test it. Not looking good. :(. The LED modules are getting volts to illuminate, in other words all the electrics are working, except for the actual display modules. Any Idea where I can pick these up?

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry Doug, I haven't logged on for a few days but yes the fuses are the thin bits on the PCB. Ok, if you have power to the VFDs, then check along the earths and see there isn't any breaks. I would use a test wire with a fuse as a earthing bridge and follow along the board. I'd try Jaycar for some parts. As for the screeching sound, I'd say that was the headlight alarm. I didn't go through that WSM but I'm sure they would have some wiring details in there?

Having fun yet? Hehe..
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

SubieMad

Post by SubieMad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 pm

I owned one of these from new (now thats showing my age).

From memory there was an alarm when the revs redlined. I know because my then girlfriend accidentally knocked the gearshift into nuetral when I was doing 100ks on the highway. As it took me a couple of seconds to realise what had happened the engine revs shot into the red and a very loud alarm sounded, which just added to my confusion.

Sorry RSR but even back in those days the headlights went out when you turned off the ignition I thought???

Cheers

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Well the buzzer was easy to stop, just unplugged it. As for the other elects, I plugged it in and tested the Circuit board with my multimeter. I can see the chips pulling the LED's for the number modules high, but they dont come on. I tried putting power through the modules with a seperate Power supply but no cigar. I think these displays are roast, as they are the only things not working, along with the computer/clock thing. Might move to plan "b", which is to put my own modules behind the perspects and drive them with a pic. Should be pretty easy to do.

Busser wasnt headlights. IDK what caused it, but your probably right subiemad. On a plus note, today I took the car out flying and while I was there, I tested the 4WD solanoid. Conversation went like " Mike, watch my wheels for a sec, Im gonna pull into that boggy sand and see if 4WD works. If I get bogged we know." Mike " OK"
Ha, glad it worked!!.

Regards

Doug

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 am

4WD solenoid.. oh yours must be the automatic model :) good fun in the sand.

I'm sure you'll find something else to use for the displays.. Check with Jaycar.

SubieMad.. I'm sure you're right about the buzzer being for revlimit, I've never got that high to find out but you are incorrect about the lights turning off.. this didn't come out until the gen2 L.Series (87 onwards) and even my 90 Brumby doesn't have it :( I would have loved to buy a MY Touring Wagon from new.. I had not saw the light at that stage and was still playing with SS Torana's.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 am

Well it dont beep when it no plugged in :). Took the wagon down to cuby today, bout 400km round trip. She's still got some boogie in her :cool:. Before I have a poke around, any of you guys know where I can get a gasket kit? Gotta adjust the valves.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:40 am

Any good parts place store like Repco, Veales, Auto One or I'd use Southern Parts Supplies in Kenwick.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:10 am

Yep, i was gonna try auto pro after work. I also need to get a rocker cover cover gasket for my van.

As long as I can still get them ;).

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am

Tell them you need 'rocker cover gaskets' for the Subaru EA81 1800 OHV model.

And when you fit them, just use a small smear of 'Ultra Blue' silicone :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah, got quoted $220 for a complete set for a EA81. Also, been getting some exaust fumes into the cab, so I crawled under there today, and It looks like she's got two new cylinder heads. Makes me curious on the state of the motor inside. It seems to run pretty good, bit of gearbox "puffing" and valve ticking but other than that....

Pity about the dash, It kinda really annoys me. I want to keep the origonal cluster look, but If there all like this....Dammit!!
Does the analog variant hold up any better?

Regards

Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 pm

I've got one over here, dunno if it works but you're welcome to it for $20 plus postage.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Hell yeah, Il shoot you a PM.

Cheers

Doug

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:56 pm

As I mentioned previously mine is the analogue type. People I have talked to before have ditched the electronic dash when it stuffed up and fitted the analogue as it is less troublesome.
I am on my 2nd analogue dash and the only reason I changed was the speedo was going nuts and I seemed to have some weird dash lighting issues.
Turns out the speedo situation was gearbox oil making its way up the speedo cable into the rear of the speedo. I am guessing the lighting issue was/is an earthing problem.
In all I think the analogue version is much better able to handle age though I dont have anything like an over rev alarm or a trip computer in the analogue version.
NOTE - when I bought my 2nd analoge dash I didnt stipulate I wanted one from a 4WD. When it arrived it is obvously from a 2WD as the dash lights indication section was blanked off for the 4WD part. I took the same part from my old dash and at least now I have a 4WD indication. In all you need to make it clear yours is a 4WD and you must tell the seller it is either an auto or a dual range manual. These are my mistakes which I wont make again. I am still searching for a fully MY analogue dash to suit an 82 touring wagon that is to suit dual range 4WD. Mine was originally an auto so the dash only has the single 4WD light.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Mines 4wd auto. As you pointed out it is possible to use some parts out of different dash's. Il see how i go.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 am

Any joy Doug?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:24 am

Havent been touching the suby much lately, I had to do some stuff to my van. When thats all sorted out Il probably get back into it. Hopefully this weekend coming, thats If I can bring myself to stop driving the small car, auto, power steering, power windows, and go back to the van, truck steering, seat bouncing, car crushing beast. I call it widowmaker.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Don't drive an Outback then.. you'll never go back

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:38 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Don't drive an Outback then.. you'll never go back
Ha! they pretty good ay?

Flat out at the moment, hopefully will get to do something to the Suby soon. Gotta fix that valve tapping and it sounds like the valves need reseating. Havnt touched the dash for a while but Il get there.

Cheers

Doug

Return to “Trouble Shooting”