MY windscreen install tips

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

MY windscreen install tips

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:07 pm

G'day MY buffs,

I'm about to take on the task of re-fitting Sunnie the Brumby's windscreen with a new rubber - any tips to make it easier and to avoid it leaking?

I've read about it being a dry seal but that you should use some mastic stuff to a) make it easier to install and b) make sure it seals properly.

I've not been able to find anything in the way of a DIY guide on the forum - hoping to pick the brains of those that have done it before.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Windscreen expert dude paid to fit my used screen and new rubber claimned they were dry fit - leaked shocking. Did next one meself with the venetian blind cord and silicone spray and heaps of mastic - in minutes - - so quick way to spend $88 if you wanna pay someone else :D

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Dry fit windscreen, that's a new one. :o

Windscreens and rear windows are either sealed with a non-hardening "windcreen sealant" for older cars with rubbers, or glued in with a hardening sealant like newer cars.
Regards

Gary ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 pm

littlewhiteute wrote:Dry fit windscreen, that's a new one. :o
Well - a rubber seal - no sticky "wet" stuff to deal with...

And can some one please enlighten me about this mastic stuff? Never heard about it before, that's all.

Any specific technique used Jonno? I don't see how silicon spray and a bit of cord does the job... what's the seal fitted to first - the car or the windscreen?

And anyone know where I can get some of the chrome strip stuff from? I damaged some of mine removing the windscreen :evil:

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 am

mastic

The method Steptoe refers to goes something like this (from memory of doing it)

If thats not the way Steptoe has done it then Im sure he will provide instructions :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 am

O'Briens once sold windscreen sealant in a standard cartridge tube to the public, mastic may be a brand name for ultra sticky black stuff that never sets hard - like what Subaru use on tail light assy to body :D

My method was not soapy cord, but good idea.

Fit rubber to screen, goop between glass and rubber is optional, tie self a loop of venetian blind style cord around the channel of the screen rubber, bit longer than need, think it was a tweest, just once, squirt mastic goop into channel lay screen onto cars bottom channel all nicely silicone sprayed, start whacking with hel of palm of hand against all to fit up, then get inside, mirror removed helps, pull cord to help ease the rubber inside lip over the screens metal frame. Did mine one person - no witness or advisors :)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19 pm

I've got all the instructions, cross sections and diagrams, sealant part numbers/codes for doing this in my big Subaru service manual along with every other piece of sealed glass...if I could be bothered to write it all out on here though...Jonno is right with the cord method although the book recommends more than one piece and shows where to lay them (but if Jonno did it by himself then 1 piece obviously works) I think it even tells you what kind of cord and diameter :o and you do use sealant.

I'll see if I can scan the pages well enough for you to read and post them here.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 pm

TOONGA wrote:mastic
That looks like the same stuff as sikaflex... Different name though.
steptoe wrote:O'Briens once sold windscreen sealant in a standard cartridge tube to the public, mastic may be a brand name for ultra sticky black stuff that never sets hard - like what Subaru use on tail light assy to body :D
Yep, I used Sikaflex for that job on the tail lights.
steptoe wrote:Fit rubber to screen, goop between glass and rubber is optional, tie self a loop of venetian blind style cord around the channel of the screen rubber, bit longer than need, think it was a tweest, just once, squirt mastic goop into channel lay screen onto cars bottom channel all nicely silicone sprayed, start whacking with hel of palm of hand against all to fit up, then get inside, mirror removed helps, pull cord to help ease the rubber inside lip over the screens metal frame. Did mine one person - no witness or advisors :)
Sweet, this was exactly what I was after! Any more clues on where you had the string poke out from - one end on each A pillar with the ends on the dashboard?
Silverbullet wrote:I'll see if I can scan the pages well enough for you to read and post them here.
If you could that would be sweet!

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:43 am

Any good sealant that cures with a hard skin and remains permanently plastic underneath is a form of mastic. Sikaflex would work well around a windscreen.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 am

If only I knew how to youtube back then in 2006.

Think I had string come out inside cabin up top where mirror was, think I had the two directions crossed over each other like first step of tie shoe lace.

Maybe leave rubber in sun with inside face sun to help soften things or fire place, heat gun.
Happened all so quick I can't recall :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:08 pm

I'll have to work it out as I go then, but I've got plenty of useful info to work with for the weekend.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 pm

And here's a bit more! a couple of cm's got cut off because I couldn't get it into the scanner (the book is nearly 2 inches thick!) but the useful bit is the sealing compound, it says "Cemedine #366E or Star calking 20G"
Dunno if either of those still exist though :rolleyes:

If anyone is interested this book has similar diagrams and cross sections for every other piece of glass for wagon, sedan and hatch.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v5xld6xvdju5ope
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks guys! I got the windscreen in with the method that steptoe said - I doubled the rope around the rubber seal and it worked a treat.

I did this after dad told me how he saw the professionals do it years ago - by putting the rubber on the car first then the windscreen in. That wrecked me and the windscreen didn't want to go in at all.

Tried out rubber on the windscreen first then put the two on the car and it went in great.

Now I need to put some sikaflex behind the rubber avoiding the drain holes then work out how to put the chrome strips back in.

And does anyone know where to get that chrome strip stuff from - it looks like it's designed for the specific area it's going into. I damaged one or two pieces when I took them off (a very frustrating exercise!).

The rust paint repair isn't the best job but it'll do for now. I'm keen to get the car resprayed but that's outside our means at the moment and I'm not sure that Gail's keen on it at the moment!

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 am

GREAT stuff, and I'm happy for you to keep believing your dad first over another board member :D

Estimate of time taken to do it my way ??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 pm

About the Dad thing - It's usually him asking me about subi specific stuff these days :D

Your way of doing it - probably an hour, I was stuffed after buggering around with the wrong way of doing it! I didn't really time myself, just concentrated on getting it done properly.

Also got a little tip from a mate - line the metal under the rubber with the likes of sikaflex and let it set before installing the windscreen. This will act as a barrier from the water getting to the metal (on top of the paint work). Wish I knew about it before I put the windscreen in!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Anyone know where I can get the chrome surrounds for the windscreen? I damaged mine while trying to carefully take them out.

And how do you get them back in without damaging them?

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am

Your favourite wrecker me thinks for supply, as to getting them in, think it is just tedious...small flat blade screwdriver ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I think there's a special tool for putting them in, I know there is one for getting them out. It's not a special Subaru tool, I think most mobile windscreen guys would have them. On the subject, one of my corner ones just fell out the other night, luckily while I was standing there otherwise it would be long gone :shock: In a safe place now ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 am

So here I am a few years down the track trying to jam the windscreen back into Redback. It wasn't going so well and after the third attempt I resorted to the new school method of asking google.

And what came up? This thread! Brought back some memories!

This time I fitted the chrome strips before putting the screen in the vehicle - it all went in well. Some silicone spray helped lube things up - I'm just hoping I haven't weakened th rubber using something like that. Time will tell I guess.

Cheers

Bennie

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:00 am

Silicone spray is good as long as you never have to paint the car again.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”