80-110km/h = bad smell and some smoke - 96 Impreza

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Dusty_Hermit

80-110km/h = bad smell and some smoke - 96 Impreza

Post by Dusty_Hermit » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi folks,

I recently obtained a 96 Impreza AWD Sports Wagon. Initially there was a crunch when shifting into third, along with a bad smell at ~80km/h and some intermittent smoke at ~110km/h.

Everything else is good, the engine is sweet, and the temperature never goes over half... performance seems fine.

I fixed the crunch by changing the transmission fluid, and hoped this would fix the smell/smoke, but unfortunately not. The clutch feels okay, and there's hardly a shudder with low RPM take offs.

Google led me to believe it might have been the clutch freeplay. Upon checking, I found there wasn't any freeplay - so I have since adjusted this.

But the problem is still there!

The smell is really acrid - I'm confused as it smells a bit different to a burnt clutch, but not that different [shrug] and it doesn't happen with sustained stop/start driving through heavy traffic in the hills of Hobart.

My mechanical knowledge is somewhat limited - but the problem might be blindingly obvious to someone here.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Is this a big problem? Gearbox maybe?

Thanks in advance.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Smell needs to be identified, brakes, clutch, gearbox oil, engine oil and coolant has its own smell if something is going wrong.
Is there any possibility an slow oil leak on the exhaust causing the smell?
Do a test for the clutch - put in 5th gear and try drive it off - if it stalls then the clutch is good, if you're able to rev while not putting your foot on the clutch then the clutch is on its way out.
If the gearbox was damaged - it either would slip, or gear pops out or car wont be able to move.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Dusty_Hermit

Post by Dusty_Hermit » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 pm

I just did the 5th gear attempted take off - and it stalled with such a sharp jolt that I'd have to say the clutch is excellent. Great information, and thank you.

I did actually wonder if it was oil or transmission fluid leaking onto the exhaust. You're probably right. The amount of transmission fluid that came out when I changed it seems to be the right level (4 litres). I've probably confused the oil smell with transmission fluid.

But then again, if it is just a small oil leak, are these symptoms likely to only occur when driving above 80km/h on the highway?

Apologies for the total-beginner talk.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:20 pm

I reckon it'll be a brake that's still holding.

Jack up each wheel and see if you can turn it (gearbox in neutral, hand brake off), if one is particularly difficult that'll be the culprit.

It doesn't pull to one side when driving? Odd tyre wear?

If it was oil on the exhaust you're more likely to smell it in traffic rather than at speed ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 am

a switch leaking box oil from the side to drip on exhaust and it is just at these speeds the exhaust gets to that nice ignition point perhaps? My Brumby with its 4 speed has this

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 am

Accumulated oil on the exhaust will heat up at HWY speeds and burn off, causing that burning oil smell that we all love.

The engine areas to look at are the valve covers for the heads, the power steering pump, the sump gasket and the crank and cam seals. the gearbox areas are the switches (thanks Jonno) the front and rear seals, the rear case seal (5th gear and centre) and the axle seals. If you can, degrease the engine and gearbox then get the car to running temperature and look for oil leaks.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Dusty_Hermit

Post by Dusty_Hermit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone for the help.

Work commitments means the degrease will have to wait a few days.

I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Seems odd that you'd smell oil on the exhaust at such high speeds... Do you smell it still with the a/c fan turned off?

Odor Description
Antifreeze/coolant : Sweet odor
Electrical short : Acrid
Emissions : Sulfur, rotten eggs
Gasoline : Gasoline vapors
Oil : Heavy odor, usually accompanied by smoke
Overheated friction material : Burnt smell (brakes/clutch)
Overheating : Sweet smell accompanied by steam

(This information is entirely stolen from outside sources, i take no credit for it)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Exhaust leak perhaps? At speed there's a vacuum created under the car which might cause the smell.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Another thing to think about is a power steering leak down at the steering rack where the hoses go into it. It will drip straight onto the exhaust i noticed mine first on the hwy i would say coming up through the console

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Or you have a dodgy bonnet seal on top of the firewall so that the smells/fume/gases are being sucked into the cabin through the outside air pickup system...

There could be so many ways this is occurring it's not funny - it only takes a tiny gap in a boot or grommet for these smells to enter a cabin!

I still don't believe that you should be able to smell an oil burning smell when at cruise. I know the liberty I'm currently driving doesn't and it's got so many leaks that I'm about to pull the engine to sort out the issues - yet at low stop/start driving or stopping at the lights I can smell the burning oil - at speed it's a non issue other than wondering about the oil level in the engine...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”