l series front top shocky mount

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
89lseries

l series front top shocky mount

Post by 89lseries » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:12 pm

Just been to fulcrum to get a wheel alignment and they have told me that i need new mounts on top of the strut, they have visible cracks in them. The black hard rubber (might b metal - didnt have much time to look at it) thing that comes into the engine bay. If it cracks fully around the shock will apparentally come into the engine bay and through the bonnet, so they need replacing. So i rang up subaru and they quoted 127.70each :evil: Just wondering if any1 nows of any aftermarket place that do them. Vehicle in question is dec 88 l series dl 4wd wagon.

Thanks
89lseries

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:56 pm

Try the wreckers.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:35 pm

You can buy them new online.

http://www.maximumautoparts.com/SU_Stru ... items.html

I only know this because I own an MY, unfortunately this mob don't do an MY top! :?

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:02 pm

Firstly, your suspension guru is an ignorant dick. More than me even. :lol:

If they do break right through the spring will hold the rest of the strut assembly down and stop it coming anywhere near the bonnet. If anything the shock would retract back into it's cartridge.

But it will cause serious handling dramas, perhapse even an accident. If I were you I'd just get a second hand pair from a wrecker, but of course the brand new ones are always better.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:16 pm

yeah ive dont it in the MY a few times... just clunks around a bit but still drives... you will know about it tho :?

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:26 pm

mate its a l series these have a bearing not rubber like the my.if anything the bearing will fail if you have a lift kit the top strut spacer will hold it in there to limp home other wise replace the bearings before it breaks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:13 pm

bluesteel wrote:yeah ive dont it in the MY a few times... just clunks around a bit but still drives... you will know about it tho :?
I thought noone outside of WA had done these things! Welcome to our club bluesteel! :twisted:

For a while we were averaging one MY top per trip. Felt like every time we pulled the 4wd lever it would happen. We don't do them anymore now that Jonno has made restrictors to stop this happening on his car and the Hatchie, and I have stopped taking my car offroad. And pretty much everyone else drives 4wd Pintaras.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:03 pm

these restrictors you talk about...
whats the go???

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:01 pm

The restrictors are a metal disk with a tube that bolts into the top of your strut top using the nut on the top of the shock.... It restricts the rubber from flexing more than 5mm. And you would be surprised how often that happens when offroading.

In minimising the movement of it which reduces the flexing of the rubber... hence putting less stress on it. All that is heard is a dull thud if your strut tops attempt to move more than 5mm. (This only happens on offroad and never on road... to tell u the truth i can;t even notice it anymore)

It's also GREAT if you happen to tear the strut top... the restrictor maintains the strut in place without falling out and destroying your fender and pulling your CV joints apart. Tim knows how much fun that is.

Prior to the restrictor i was destroying a strut top every second trip we went on... and a dare not intentionally get the front end air born. Since... i have purchased a brand new set of strut tops but have not fit them because i was waiting for the old ones to brake first.... alas... the strut restrictors have been doing it's job and i have not torn one since despite trying to.

Dave

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:52 am

tim_81coupe wrote:You can buy them new online.

http://www.maximumautoparts.com/SU_Stru ... items.html

I only know this because I own an MY, unfortunately this mob don't do an MY top! :?
At $75usd each you are better off buying them from Subaru and getting the Subaru warranty......

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Return to “Trouble Shooting”