91 Brumby Ignition Lock

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
subybrumby

91 Brumby Ignition Lock

Post by subybrumby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi..I'm trying to get access to the ignition lock on my 91 Brumby. The car has been sold but the certifier won't pass it with a suspect ignition lock. Originally, the key would go through the range but when it got to start, sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't make contact and was worse on a cold day. I bypassed that and just put a start button next to the key wired in parallel but now the lock is pretty well shot and the lock gets stuckthrough the movements and the key can be taken out while the car is going.

Can the lock tumbler be removed from the casing????

How do you get at the screws on the back of the switch

How can the entire thing be removed seeing as it has blind screws on the top and bottom where it attaches to the steering wheel...

Thanks
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:25 pm

To remove those blind head screws I used to use a cold chisel & hammer to loosen them. Once you get those off the electrical part of the switch separates from the barrel & key. You can purchase a full set matching locks on good old eBay for $120 or so I think. Or make friends with ya local Subie wrecker.

Cheers Jake

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Nice sharp centre punch and make a punch mark closer to the outer, so you can sort of drive it around with each tap. As soon as you get the first to turn, shift to the other before releasing too much of the tension - it only binds more on the other if not ( i havefound) A good locksmith may do it for 45 to 60 bucks and use a Nissan or Datsun barrel as they are a bit more rugged. Done a few now - got both Brumbies keyed alike :)

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks Jake..got it off...undo the two 12mil bolts holding the steering column up and the whole thing comes down and you can get to it.

I got a cold chisel to those two blind screws but what a bast....d...jeez there were a bugger to get off. I would like to get the tumbler out of the casing to see what the trouble is..I've drilled out the small pin but it doesn't seem to want to come out..not sure what position the key and steering lock is supposed to be in....I've got a new one coming...hope it will fit...
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Cool, glad you got it off.The new lock will come with the new bolts, the head snaps off them as you tighten them up.

tambox

Post by tambox » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Another way to remove those bolts and re-use them, is to cut slots into them with an angle grinder or similar, then undo them with a flat blade. Then you can do them up again.
Not recomended when column is still in car, but if you get a used one to strip.
L serious, still.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 am

I have replaced with allen head bolts in M8 1.25 ? Think I ground the heads down a little to fit within the recess. Like, how many car thieves carry allen keys just in case ?

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am

Yep...still like to get the barrell and tumblers out of the casing...might take it to a locksmith I think..

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:01 pm

gosh we are a fussy lot aren't we - thought I was on my own until you guys started coming out like this :D

Post by 60766244 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Brumby ignitions are shockingly easy to hotwire. :|

When my barrel stuck I removed it and simply used a screwdriver to start the car for a few days until I worked out how to unstick it.

I did the same: I replaced the screws with recessed allan-key types that were also hard to get a multi-grip onto.

If your barrels Jamming, having the key in it and giving it 10-30 really firm taps with a screwdriver handle (onto the key) will un-jam it. It rattles all the pins into their happy place. ;)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Finally got the barrel out of the casing...there is a small hidden pin located in the side of the casing..I drilled it out but I suspect it is a small roll pin with a cap over it..some sort of locksmith hidden voodoo magic...

Got another lock coming from an earlier model but will take the whole thing to a locksmith and see if he can make something of it...

The little daily brumby went for a roadworthy/safety certificate and failed on..

Ignition lock
Renew front flexible brake lines (92bucks thank you)
adjust rear brakes
oil leak around tappet cover
leaky inner rear cv boot..replace

Not too bad considering I have just drove it and drove it and drove it without too much tlc over the years....anyway its sold and all the work has been completed except for the lock...

Return to “Trouble Shooting”