Help replaced l series timing belt car wont start

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
beasty

Help replaced l series timing belt car wont start

Post by beasty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am

the other day my timing belt went in the l series so we replaced that but the car wont start pretty sure we did the timing belt properly

1.Insure the Flywheel is at exactly 0 Degreees
2. Check that the Left Hand Cam mark lines up with the top mark. (read Passengers side)
3. Check that the Right Hand Cam Mark lines up with the bottom mark. (read Drivers Side)
4. Rotate the engine by hand a couple of times to make sure you have done it right.

but i think the distributor mite be out so how do i line correct it , or could it be something else ??

cheers

jims

Post by jims » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Hey mate,

Did you line the indicator on the bellhousing up with the middle of the three marks on the flywheel or at 0 degrees, TDC? Because you need to do the latter.

Did you start with both marks on the cam pulleys facing up and aftering installing the passengers side belt, rotate the crank one full turn? At this point the passenger side belt should be facing down, while the drivers side should be facing up (and the indicator on the bellhousing still in line with the middle of the three marks of course).

beasty

Post by beasty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 pm

jims wrote:Hey mate,

Did you line the indicator on the bellhousing up with the middle of the three marks on the flywheel or at 0 degrees, TDC? Because you need to do the latter.

Did you start with both marks on the cam pulleys facing up and aftering installing the passengers side belt, rotate the crank one full turn? At this point the passenger side belt should be facing down, while the drivers side should be facing up (and the indicator on the bellhousing still in line with the middle of the three marks of course).
I lined it up with the three marks ,
ahh i cant remember exactly but i will retry that method just to double check tomorrow and see how i go

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 pm

u have to spin the motor 180 before lining up the marks for the other side
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:13 am

Line up the centre mark, fit the left hand belt, rotate 360 degrees back to the centre mark, fit the right hand belt.
Ensure valve timing is correct for each belt when each belt is done.
Regards

Gary ;)

Return to “Trouble Shooting”