O2 sensor testing

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
steptoe
Master Member

O2 sensor testing

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 am

Not sure if I read it here or somewhere else, someone claiming to conduct a simple O2 sensor test if suspected as yer problem - disconnect sensor from the equation and engine will run on a limp mode like fuel map. Reading into that I assumed it would be a middle of the road map.

I have seen an XF Falcon run black fuely smoke due to a dud O2 sensor, just yesterday had a quick look at a 90 MR2 (designation not used in France - sounds too much like sh1tty :p in Franch ) It has been through the learner process of diagnostics and used this and that has been swapped in, no change with a used O2 sensor being swapped in. Black fuelly exhaust, enough to make yer eyes sting bad,throat choke and need fresh air for a while after. Difficult or impossible to floor the throttle and then smoke rings as the cat disintegrates with backfire !!

Let's try the isolate the O2 sensor trick and see how it runs on a limp map. Limp map my rrrrrs ! Still runs black smoke as a fail safe not to run damaging lean, but instantly gained revability and no backfire.
Looks like a new O2 sensor will work. An interesting approach would be to tap the signal off a known healthy car of same Voltage O2 supply to see if the patient changes tune all of a sudden ??

stork955

Post by stork955 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 am

G'day, there is a better way. Disconnect the sensor and put a voltmeter onto the wire (assuming it is a single wire type). You should see a fluctuating voltage between 0 and 1 volt. 0.5 is correct -the voltage will move up and down as the computer adjusts the injection pulse width. In my experience, most 02 sensor faults are caused by something else. That's not to say that they dont fail. Black smoke is typically some other item, like the pressure reg or blocked air cleaner. Check the fault codes also -what do they say?

Cheers,

Stork

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:15 am

FPR is good suggestion, jammed shut so running injectors at a higher pressure, squirting more fuel in at a given pulse ..... yeah, may not be coincidence that swap in a used O2 sensor from not the same model car - Camry gives same result, yet to disconnect improves some things just not black smoke. It has an old pre OBDII diagnostic plug an as yet no data to suit. Owners first foray into efi diagnostics me thinks.
Maybe a 1.5 V battery with a string of diodes off it to reduce Voltage at each one could be a trick ??

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 am

A voltage divider is a better way Steptoe.

12v ---<>----take signal here for computer-----<>------to ground.
Valves 10k 400ohm

That being said the computer might chuck the shits because the signal isn't changing when it leans and richen's the mixture.

Regards

Doug

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 pm

That won't work.

The ECM adds fuel, then looks at the O2 sensor, low oxygen (rich), ECM takes fuel way, looks at the O2 sensor, high oxygen (lean), repeats in a loop - closed loop.

Let's now add a fixed voltage, say 550mV, ECM adds fuel, O2 at stoich, ECM adds fuel, O2 still at stoich, ECM keeps adding fuel to it's STFT programmed limit.

The only answer is, replace the O2 sensor, preferably genuine.
Regards

Gary ;)

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:13 pm

The oxy sensor in my 98 outback has a fair chance of being stuffed, its been submerged in coolant for 7 months, they are not designed for that. The only time I get a "check engine" light is when I am cruising on a flat road, come to hills and it goes out. Check memory (black plugs) comes up with oxy sensor fault.

Does it only read the oxy sensor at cruise and not at idle?

A fixed voltage on the oxy sensor input may confuse the ECU, so be carefull.
L serious, still.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Yeah just replace it. According to Bosch they only have a service life of 80,000kms anyway
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 am

Not my car :p . The O2 sensor that came on my L turbo looked genuine, maybe original, was old in years, 188,000km and had seen quite a few litres of water and coolant a few times, rested over a few years and more water. Still read nice as the new one I shoved in after reading they are a service item :)

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Gannon wrote:Yeah just replace it. According to Bosch they only have a service life of 80,000kms anyway
That's correct, about average "service" life.
steptoe wrote:Not my car :p . The O2 sensor that came on my L turbo looked genuine, maybe original, was old in years, 188,000km and had seen quite a few litres of water and coolant a few times, rested over a few years and more water. Still read nice as the new one I shoved in after reading they are a service item :)
Service life is not the same as service item.

Extremely lucky if yours still works considering any water based fluid shortens an O2 sensors' life. Reason they are ALWAYS mounted between 10 and 2 o'clock on the pipe.
Regards

Gary ;)

Return to “Trouble Shooting”