Thermo Switch- EA81 Brumby

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Wooster

Thermo Switch- EA81 Brumby

Post by Wooster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Guys, other than removing the thermo switch to check it's serviceability does anyone know of an alternative method.
The fan works when run direct from the battery, however I'm not confident that the thermo switch is kicking in

Thoughts?

Ray

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Try running the fan by having the ignition on and take the wire to the sensor off, then touch the wiring to a good earth point. This should make the fan come on and if not, then you might need to check the wiring. If this works and the fan comes on then it could be a faulty sensor. I do know they come on very late though, so could be ok.

I like to run a wire from the back of the sensor (leaving the original wiring as factory) and run this wire inside the cab to a switch, then off the other side of the switch to earth. This allows me to bring the fan on earlier which works great when you're running on the beach :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks Paul, tried to earth from (yellow) sensor switch- no difference. I'll rig a switch as recommended from the sensor and see if this makes any difference. Look like a new thermo switch required. Something for the weekend along with the webber conversion it seems.

Skull

Post by Skull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:46 pm

The thermo sensor switch on my brumby failed about a month ago. It seemed to have the reverse effect, the thermo fan was running constantly. Works fine now after a new one was fitted.

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks Paul, manual switch now in place & effective, I'm doing a couple of hundred K's tomorrow so will see if the sensor cuts in, if not well the back up works.

Skull, the joys of toys mate

Absolutely no replacement thermoswitch here in Woolgoolga, hopefully Coffs will have one in stock

Ray

Bantum
General Member

Thermo Test ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm

One way of checking if your old thermo still works is to remove from car & run some boiling water over the sensor part ... :eek:

Note : You'll need to set up a 'third hand' + attach a test circuit, with some sort of indicator like a light bulb, multimeter etc ...

Caution : I'd only advocate doing this with adult supervision ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Funny, must be planned obsolescence kicking in, one of my Brumby switches just gave up connecting the fans recently.

Wonder if it is part number 682151180 - it is stamped 98*C and sits in remote storage for FROG.
I once hooked up a switch for one of these fans, taped it to the kick panel near bonnet release - mate ! the heat that switch carried ! I'd suggest relays as well !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 pm

steptoe wrote:I once hooked up a switch for one of these fans, taped it to the kick panel near bonnet release - mate ! the heat that switch carried ! I'd suggest relays as well !
There shouldn't be any heat/draw from that wire, as the sensor is just a switch to earth, so no relay needed. If your switch was getting hot, it was because of too much current draw, thus meaning your fan was on it's way out.
Silverbullet wrote:They're not that hard to find :-)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tridon-Therm ... df0&_uhb=1
Very good find.. need to add this to parts thread
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 am

Was on its way out some ten years ago ? Still going real well !! Was quite a heavy duty sort of metal toggled switch providing direct earth for fan rather than a relay perhaps ? Or my choice of wiring gauge at the time ?? Thought I had just T pieced in on the one wire to the switch on the radiator - and now that I look the rad has a choice of single round pole switch and then there is a twin male spade switch directly below - must tinker with it one day.......

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:47 am

Jonno, you mush have either an aftermarket rad or an L.Series rad in there to have the 2 different senders. From memory, the single one was the old type where they just switched to earth when the water was at the right temp and the twin one was due to the later ones having plastic tanks and now requiring an earth from another location.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Think it is out of my 92 Brumby with AC, with genuine looking two switches - maybe even wiring on the 92 must have a gander....not an L Series, just made same time as late L's and early EJ stuff ..man it musta been hard on that assembly line !!

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Well after a couple of hundred K's with a back up manual switch fitted (just in case) and a hot spring day all is well with the beast!.

Also whacked in the Weber conversion this arvo............ quite a difference!

thanks guys

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Awesome Ray, glad to hear you're happy with the weber conversion.

When is your next trip over to the west?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Trouble Shooting”