4sp DR stuck in R and locked wheels

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
phantomD

4sp DR stuck in R and locked wheels

Post by phantomD » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 am

Had something happen to me yesterday in the Brumby that I've never heard of before, 4sp DR trans. I'd just started the car and selected reverse with the steering turned close to lock (as I'd been parked in from both ends and I'd not had enough room to get out onto the road on first attempt) and the gear stick would not come out of reverse, the car wouldn't move even though no brakes were on and it was on an incline, and slipping the clutch put the engine under load. Eventually I jumped off the clutch and stalled the engine at which point it jumped out of reverse and started coasting backwards. I went for a drive in it afterwards and it worked perfectly, even in reverse.

What the hell just happened? :shock:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 pm

How is the engine stay bracket adjustment between the firewall/spare wheel carrier and engine? Wonder if you stressed it somehow ?

outback

Post by outback » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 pm

I've had this happen b4 to me but not in a Brumby.
The selector has not taken it out of the gear it was in b4 you selected Reverse.
When you put it in reverse the gear box is trying to go forward and backwards at the same time. They call it a transbrake in a Auto lol.
It might be a just bit worn out.
Good luck with it..

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 pm

outback wrote:I've had this happen b4 to me but not in a Brumby.
The selector has not taken it out of the gear it was in b4 you selected Reverse.
That's sort of the way I was thinking about this - but more along the lines that 1st was still selected as reverse was.

1st and reverse share a common gear between them, if something wasn't properly engaged or disengaged you could have had this issue. It also seems likely that what Outback has said could be what was happening to you too - it seems more plausible to me ;)

What's worse is that if you try to take it out of reverse and you can't get another gear except the one that's caused the issue - the selector gates could be out of sync to allow the arm to move freely through them. Clear as mud I know, but if you've ever pulled down a gearbox you'll know what I'm talking about!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Ahh,,,,the true push-me-pullyou :p

tambox

Post by tambox » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Couldn't have accidentially been in 4WD and wound up?
Jumping off the clutch would have released the pressure and it would be back to normal.
How goods your clutch release?
L serious, still.

tony

Post by tony » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 am

have heard of this in other fwds, apparently its something to with being on full lock there is not enough tolerance in the driveline to allow the gears to release. never got the full story on it though. I have had the l series lock into 4wd on occasion that can be annoying. cured it, sold the car.

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm

I recon it has something to do with the "Hill hold function" Mrs' Forester locked up. Adjusted hill hold and all was good

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:13 pm

It's happened again pretty quickly to the Brumby's co-driver, so she is off the road until I can get back from elsewhere to look further into the problem. I will keep you all updated.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm

ktmtragic wrote:I recon it has something to do with the "Hill hold function" Mrs' Forester locked up. Adjusted hill hold and all was good
No hill holder function in the brumbys ktm ;)

Cheers

Bennie

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Sorry bad call

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 pm

ktmtragic wrote:Sorry bad call
Nah mate, if you don't have a brumby you wouldn't know - and it is a valid area to consider with this issue.

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm with Greg, as it sounds like it selected 4WD when you selected reverse. This happens heaps of times on the 4 Speed boxes when the linkage on the selector get flogged out.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

pitrack_1

Hill holders (bit off topic)

Post by pitrack_1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm

ktmtragic wrote:I recon it has something to do with the "Hill hold function" Mrs' Forester locked up. Adjusted hill hold and all was good
Eh, watch that hill holder ktmtragic. Make sure you still know hill starts with a handbrake- if you still have one! Dunno how it goes in an auto/CVT, but here's a couple of watch-outs from our manual Diesel. I assume the hill holder links to a pitch sensor. Note we have a normal/proper handbrake, not the electric switch brake:

1) Won't hold in reverse on an up-slope. Will disengage on change from 1st to R. Slope parking caution.
2) Won't hold in first (haven't tried 2-6) on a down slope. Will disengage on a change from R to 1st. Slope parking caution.
3) Won't hold on gentle slopes, the car will roll easily. Traffic lights caution.
4) Won't hold when parked on a side slope (e.g. sloping into a gutter on an otherwise level road). Turned wheels will cause the car to roll as (in general) the front tries to move down. Parking caution.
5) Won't hold immediately after startup on a slope.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Return to “Trouble Shooting”