Brumby A/C Fan problems

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Brumby Kid
General Member

Brumby A/C Fan problems

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:30 am

So how is everyone's Subaru's treating them? Just woke up from hibernation and am back for now. (Life gets pretty busy and sadly year 12 will take priority over the forum :( )

Anyway Bianca is running great and the other day i finally got off my arse and put the A/C back in. It's nice and cold, engine is ok once moving (even up hills!) but don't you dare try and take off with it on haha

I have two problems. The first is my fan speed seems to be a little slow, i'm wandering if there is any way to make it faster (A/C guy said it was slow and compared to mum and dad's it is definitely slow). For when i need that extra kick. I looked for number 11 on the dial but it wasn't there.

Secondly, I had to re install the evaporator and hence remove the glove box which is still out of the car. I have since noticed that i can't change between fresh air and circulate. It just stays on circulate even when the button is pushed. Problem is there isn't enough vacuum going through that little hose that connects to the module on the fan that changes it.

Thanks in advance

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:52 am

The two push buttons for circ and fresh are connected behind the panel with a see-saw type arrangement. It has a vacuum supply line which then goes off to the solenoid for the flap in the fan box. If you've got no vacuum at this solenoid then the vacuum supply to the buttons has probably come loose, I had this problem alot since the tiny old vacuum hose becomes brittle and loose. But to take this panel off is a complete PITA, since all the cables for zone control and the heater tap are connected to it as well :(

As for your fan speed have you checked the motor itself? I seem to remember you can take the carbon brushes out for inspection, maybe they need replacing or like mine it was completely encrusted in old carbon and dust :rolleyes:

Oh and welcome back! ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:07 am

Bugger! Sounds like something i might be able to put up with.
Just had the fan out :( small PITA and didn't check the motor :(
Hmm at least i know how to fix these problems... Now to see if i can be bothered. Haha

Cheers Cam
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Re the fan speed... The little motor bearings get dust in them and need lubricating (of course easier said than done)
It can also be the face of the evaporator, which can get clogged with 'gunky' stuff which the air from the fan cant get through very well.
Ive had both scenarios on my cars :(

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks Proton mouse
Think I might find the motivation to fix these problems... And all the others hahaha
After getting it on the road after the rebuild and fixing a few things i've treated it like a landcruiser (She'll be right, leave it a bit longer) Slowly getting motivation back. As long as it doesn't require her to be off the road.

Cheers Cam
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 pm

For the cooling fan speed. Try and power the fan directly to the battery and see what the fan does with full power straight from the battery. If it works faster, then use the 2 wire that go to the fan to activate a relay, then run new power wire off the battery via a fuse to your A/C fan.

For the recirc inside the cabin, check that you have all the vacuum hoses connected correctly and that the vacuum hose is connected correctly to the engine manifold.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Trouble Shooting”