Chasing intermittent ignition 'stumble'

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
steptoe
Master Member

Chasing intermittent ignition 'stumble'

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:19 pm

My GLTA (10/85 - 04/14) has had a very odd full engine ignition stumble on the odd occasion, kicks, and is back to work each time - never stranded me. Never found it either, new plugs - silly, leads too, running on my first set again, newies thought to be culprit - bit shy of the sub 1k ignition module exJapan to try that. Bought smaller terminals in an attempt in head to make new power supply for dizzy.
Today, as i dismantle Cheap Grief....hmmm ??? what's this ???

The back of the ignition barrel, retainer screw is tight yet the insulator with wires is a bit loose...we'll wait and see if the stumble occurs when driveline gets into the Brumby.....

Sure I have read in here at times the ignition switches themselves are a bit prone to age and cause no starts etc

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:18 am

steptoe wrote:My GLTA (10/85 - 04/14)
RIP GLTA My condolences Steptoe:sad:
steptoe wrote:The back of the ignition barrel, retainer screw is tight yet the insulator with wires is a bit loose...we'll wait and see if the stumble occurs when driveline gets into the Brumby.....
As good a possibility as any....
Would have to be that or coil, coil to dizzy lead, Ig module (Near $1000? Really??) or a dodge connection around the slinky links me thinks!!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 am

well, I forgot to mention newish genuine coil is also in there. First one lasted over 23 years ! I am running 6.5mm plug gaps to make its life as easy as possible to ignite up to 12 psi LPG combustibles.

Thanks for the condolences - my original intentions anyway when i saved it from the wrecker...carried about on a fork lift, cosmetic bits being sold off, big door ding. A grand, yes, that is if still avail genuine, and trade price - ex Japan. FROG tells me efi pumps gen ~ $1200, so guess these sort of prices help demise of some Subes. Aftermarket modules shy of $300 in US

Never liked L Series, but this one grew on me, and brown interior ....not as hot as black and it was not blue! :)

Return to “Trouble Shooting”