Car goes left after making a left turn

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
JP147

Car goes left after making a left turn

Post by JP147 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:05 pm

1984 MY.
I noticed that the car would pull to the left after making a left turn, but go pretty much straight after making a right turn.
I checked the wheels for play, there was a little bit in one so I regreased the bearing and tightened the nut. That got rid of the play.
There was play in one of the inner tie rod ball joints, I replaced that. Still the car would pull left.
I went to a mechanic at a suspension shop and asked him. He checked everything and said he doesn't know, but if he was doing the job he would start by replacing the ball joints.
The ball joints were going bad so I replaced them, but it didn't help with the car pulling left.
Maybe it is the tops of the struts, but I don't know so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or would know how to fix it.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Would be looking at the steering rack for excess wear.

As well check the control arm rubbers, the radius rods and rubbers and the bolts where the suspension fits into the knuckle.

Did you replace the bottom ball joints?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Toonga's on it, steering rack would be my first check too.

Stock engine? Could be torque steer if you're running a more powerful engine than stock but that's far less likely.

If all else fails I'd be getting the front up on stands and running it to see what might be moving when it shouldn't.

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

poprock1

castor.

Post by poprock1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Insufficient castor will cause a lack of self centreing. Perhaps you have hit a large pothole or obstacle on that side. A wheel alignment will show it, but still check for worn parts as previously suggested.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:01 am

I do recall needng to grease up my 84's top bush. Other than a wheel alignment, seems to be about only thing left

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
All the rubbers are in good order, they are urethane except for the LCA ones which the mechanic also looked at and said it was good. I replaced the ball joints on the LCAs.
There is no noticable play in the steering rack, could there still be a problem with it?
It has had a wheel alignment since and it didn't make any difference, but maybe I will try a different place and see what they say. The place I went to didn't seem to know much about the car as they were confused why there was positive camber on the front wheels.
I know it isn't torque steer because it will persistantly pull slightly left, even after hundreds of km, until a right turn is made.

There is one thing I forgot to mention before though. I had the car on the ground and got someone to steer it and I did notice that the springs were turning in their seats a bit. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I did tighten up the springs a few turns but it didn't make a difference.

poprock1

steering pull

Post by poprock1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Your comment about pulling left until you make a r/h turn would appear to back Toonga's idea. The springs rotating could be an issue if the bottom of the coil is open ended. If it is flat like the top then it shouldn't alter ride height. If it is open ended it could ride up in the bottom saddle after a l/h turn , staying there until the r/h turn reseats it. But then there would be an increase or decrease in ride height, you could measure height when pulling left then after a r/h turn to see if there is a difference. Even then it may only affect camber and not castor.:confused: Looking forward to learning the result.

poprock1

pulling

Post by poprock1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:56 pm

Could be a broken spring, because if the spring has correct tension it should not turn.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:52 am

What about a possible issue with the bearing on the top of the strut ?

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Have you lay under the car, engine running. Someone steering lock to lock with the car stationary. Most of these ideas mentioned would make some type of noise. Perhaps that might help track the area/cause.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Cliff R wrote:What about a possible issue with the bearing on the top of the strut ?
MY's don't have a top bearing like in the L series. Partly why the steering is so heavy without P/S.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:56 pm

no bearing - but they have a bush that can get dry & crusty. Just a little grease should clear things up unles you find the bush has crapped out ....
member since 10january2014 #6191

JP147

Post by JP147 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:19 pm

The springs don't look like they are broken. Maybe they are turning because there is too much friction on the top "bearing"? I could try greasing it like steptoe suggested.
I am not sure why running the engine would help, but I did go under the car and have someone steer and everything seemed good except for the spring turning (top seat turning slower than bottom seat).
I will give greasing a try. Should I take it apart to do it or should I just take the cap off the top of the strut and shove grease down there?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 pm

if you are gonna spray use Lanotec Heavy Duty. Too far back to remember what I did .....

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Pretty sure the spring itself should not be turning within the seats.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am

Try swapping the front tyres around. If it changes the behavior but doesn't fix it, try swapping front to rear.

Generally cars "push" rather than "pull". So if you're going left it more likely to be an issue on the right hand side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JP147

Post by JP147 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:26 am

I lubed the strut tops, I am not sure if that made a difference. I swapped left and right tyres, that made it always pull left but more so after turning left. I swapped front to back (the back tyres are a fair bit wider) and I think it still pulls left a little but the steering wheel shakes and the car wanders around on uneven roads.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 am

fair bit wider ? What size tyres are you running? You might call on Silverbullet who just bought some mags for one of his MY's, may have some old steelies and tyres to sell you - se if that sorts you out ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Get 4 tyres of the same brand and same size... borrow them from someone to see if this solves your problem.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

sublime

Post by sublime » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Have you checked the leading rod bushes? When I changed these on my wagon the change was dramatic to say the least, no more tracking problems or wandering all over the road.

As noted by TOONGA you also NEED tires of the same size (and brand/make) on all four wheels. This could be a big part of your problem.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

Return to “Trouble Shooting”