Door glass troubles

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Vortex75

Door glass troubles

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey guys, trying to get the glass out of my door on my Vortex, is there any way of getting it to go down when the electric motor won't work? Having trouble getting at the last two bolts and it says to lower the window until you can see te bolts holding the regulator to the glass holder through the service hole. I can't get the window down because the motor is gone which is why I'm doing all this is the first place.
Canny

Bantum
General Member

Troubles ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:40 pm

There are few things you could try :
  • Could 'assist' the window by pushing it down ( or lean heavily on it ) @ same time the switch is turned on ... ( Assuming the power is still connected ) Note : Don't put any sideways pressure on it or you will break it ... :(
  • Can you get to the motor ? spray it & winder mechanism with some WD40 see if that frees it up ... :)
  • If all that fails, locate the bolts & drill suitable holes ... :p
That's all I can think of for now, Got any photos to show us ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:01 pm

you can power up the wires, one is light blue, the other pink. Switch around between pos and neg gives up or down. Watch any appendages that may get in the way of mechanism.

"bout time you contributed more than questions and thankyous - a picture guide to removing door trim, etc complete with instructions, tips, do's and do nots :)

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:28 pm

I wish I could post pics and a walkthrough for doing it! I got the glass out, managed to get my hands in there and undo to two bolts. But sadly I changed the motor and it's still not going.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Would be looking at the wiring in both the switches. my vortex had a similar problem the window would not go up or down. It was because the switches were broken in both the passenger door and the main switch. both need to be working (or appear to) for the window to work.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:19 am

I was fiddlin' with my spare door and bypassed all the switches n crap - went direct to the wires from window winder motor and got better function one way than the other.
These motors spin both ways, wonder if they can perform better one direction than the other as they wear and age ? Thinking back to manual winders and their need for renewed nylon giudes and a grease up - wonder if the 1980's grease n stuff has depleted and needs renewal of guides n grease ??. My left window is fast down, slow up. Yet to be investigated

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Just thought I'd update my progress with the window. All done, found a wire that was not connected really well, solder and all good. Bit of fun getting the door back together but it's fixed now.
Canny

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes the doors are soooooooo much fun to get apart then try and put back together. When I had to replace my electric window winder, I loved trying to get the glass to match the seal in the door rubber.

Glad it is all working now.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:24 pm

GO Canny !!

Return to “Trouble Shooting”