Brumby drum brake adjustment issue

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
David D

Brumby drum brake adjustment issue

Post by David D » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi everyone

When I got my car ('87 Brumby), one of the rear brake drum adjusters had a damaged thread and had limited adjustment capabilities.
I recently got a used adjuster and just fitted it today. I was expecting to be able to finally get a proper adjustment done but, unfortunately, I had a bit of an issue.
For some reason, I can't get the right hand side drum to lock no matter how far I adjust the shoes. The 'new' adjuster moves freely but still won't go far enough to lock the drum. The other side is fine and always has been. I visually checked shoes and drums and adjusters and can't see any difference between each side.
There is about 4mm of lining on the shoes and the internal diameter of the drums is about 180mm. Both sides the same.
Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to put the car back together before trying to swap parts from either side.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Could it be the part of the shoes that contacts the adjuster?
My next move would probably be to try new shoes unless anyone else has any ideas.

Cheers

David D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Stuck slave cylinder?

Also measure the "tab" section that contacts the adjuster, measure back from there to a point on the shoe that is the same for both sides of the car, if there's a difference you've got two different types of shoes in there or a shoe possibly upside down - but dunno if that is possible!

Pics are always good to help too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

David D

Post by David D » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 am

Cheers for the reply, I realised when I'd put it back together I should have measured that tab or maybe tried swapping the adjusters on opposite sides. I just ordered some new shoes. Figured I might as well replace them when I get time to pull it apart again. Didn't seem possible to put the shoes I upside down and they did all look the same. Shame I didn't think to take that measurement.

Thanks

David D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:19 pm

The "benefit" of hindsight. Like me today - "I'll take pics once I'm done"... now it's dark and the car won't be here for the majority of tomorrow :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”