85 Sportswagon stuck in 4WD mode

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
lavs

85 Sportswagon stuck in 4WD mode

Post by lavs » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi All,

I have a problem with my 85 wagon. A test pilot took it out for a spin this afternoon (its up for sale), and decided to try out the 4wd. Now it stuck in 4wd mode and won't pop out. Any clues on how to get it to budge?

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:05 pm

There is no delicate way to get it out. You can try and get the wheels to spin a bit in reverse at the same time putting a stack of pressure on the 4wd lever. It will let go with a bang but there is not really any other way to do it with out pulling the box apart. Wheel spin is what you need, preferably backwards.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:09 pm

Try the following:
Pushing down on the 4WD lever while reversing

Put the gearbox in neutral and rock the car back and forward while pushing on the 4WD lever

Lifting the rear wheels off the ground and rock them back and forward with the gearbox in neutral while someone pushs on the 4WD lever

Absolute last resort: Attempt a burnout then push on 4WD lever

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Fang

Post by Fang » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:59 pm

When this happens in my car, I just make sure the front wheels are straight and on level ground - sometimes inch the car forward - and keep pushing till it pops into 2WD

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:22 pm

I have had cars locked in 4wd like that before and you can try all the niceties in the world but if it is wound up tight there is no other way to get it out with out spinning the wheels.

lavs

Post by lavs » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:36 pm

Does it matter if it is a pushbutton 4wd?

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:53 am

When I get my MT4 brumby box stuck in 4WD I normally get the car up or above 40kmph and then put my foot on the clutch and push the lever, but maybe I haven't had it stuck bad yet. The speed seems to help mine alot!
So you have a auto trans right? Maybe theres something up with the button or wiring. I have never seen a auto subie box before so I would just guess its wiring or the button. Hope you get it fixed and make some good douh on it. Good luck.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Fang

Post by Fang » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:53 am

There is a single range 5 speed push button 4WD - the button sits on top of the gearknob.

If it one of these, there is a solenoid on the left hand pillar that is responsible for pushing and pulling the box via vacuum in and out of 4WD. Make sure thats all connected up with vac hoses etc and is operational.

I think you can try and manually slide the 4WD selector shaft on the gearbox itself - not sure if 5 speed S/R boxes have these on the outside - but its worth a go.

If it still doesnt budge, you might have to resort to the less subtle methods mentoined above.

If its auto, thats a different kettle of fish :D

Return to “Trouble Shooting”