Sick of these a/c compressors (Brumby)

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
phantomD

Sick of these a/c compressors (Brumby)

Post by phantomD » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi all,

Been away a little while - apologies for that. I've had bad luck with several Brumby a/c compressors now (including two remans, one which didn't pump and my latest bought from WA which leaked gas and then seized after reseal).

Running out of options here - these old a/c's are hard to find and very unreliable. Any suggestions and/or options or possibility to use a different compressor?

Cheers.

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:43 am

surely any AC compressor will work so long as you can make it fit - they were just kits made up by various AC kit makers after all. The compressor is likely found in any common old 80's cars
member since 10january2014 #6191

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 am

The early "L" series compressor should work as long as you can find one with a v belt and not a ribbed belt.

The other option is to find a late model brumby pulley that has the ribbed belt on the pulley for the later model compressor. I've seen 2 here in WA :). if you have power steering you will need to get the V cut in the pulley so your power steering works .

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:44 pm

I've been thinking about this too - Redback Brumby's unit has seized up. Just something else to add to the list of things to do :/

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:34 pm

It's so damned annoying because these systems aren't particularly easy to find these days! And they almost never work first go without throwing $$'s at them.

Difficult to know where to start to try and find a non-standard compressor out of a different model car. What do you even search for? 80's air con compressor? Lol

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Talk to a pro? I'm sure there is an expert on auto A/C that could help you in the right direction. I once took a leaky evap core to try and be fixed, turns out it was too far gone. But the guy spent weeks trawling through parts books, had reps over from all over the place looking at it to try and find a modern replacement, had sample parts in to try and fit in my evap box...turns out the old MY evap cores are just too weird of a design for any modern equivalent :rolleyes:

Just saying, sometimes helps to ask someone in the industry cos they can identify the type of compressor you have, what your system needs to work etc :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Trouble Shooting”