Help with window rollers

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Cliff R
General Member

Help with window rollers

Post by Cliff R » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Pulled the drivers window out of the MY wagon on the weekend (powdered windows) and there are 3 x rollers in the winding mechanism and 2 x rollers on the window guide.
Non of them were actually rolling or had any hope of rolling.
I am guessing that since they are round they are supposed to actually roll ?
I have now freed up the 3 rollers on the winding mech and one on the window guide but one roller on the window guide is basically refusing to turn freely.
I think I have used an incompatible grease in then past and this may have been petroleum based and may have swollen the rollers.
I tried WD-40 and PTFE dry lube but both of these seem to set me back and the roller seems to get tighter.
Currently trying graphite power and white lithium grease which at lease isn't making the roller tighter.
Not sure what else to do as I don't want to crack the roller.
Any suggestions ?
I cant pull the roller off but do need to work the roller till I can get some free movement back into it.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Went for extreme measures.
Felt the problem roller had "grown" in height rather than swollen on it ID.
Sprayed White lithium lube on the roller, pushed a 1" AF socket over the pulley and spun the pulley with a 1/2" driver (cordless impact gun).
The heat generated from the friction was enough to warm the pulley up and slightly melt under the head of the pulley securing pin and it freed up nicely.
The head of the pulley pin is a larger diameter than the pin spindle so logically it would heat up more than the pin which is what it did.
Lubed up everything with white lithium spray and the window is back in.
That's as far as I will get today as I need to slide the window assembly back up a bit and install the linkage/motor etc assembly.
Too hot today to tackle this.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”